Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sage rods...old and new, Page 5

WbranchMay 14th, 2015, 12:19 am
York & Starlight PA

Had a Sage 9' #5 LL three piece that I built years ago. Sold it for $300.00 at least a decade after I built, and fished, it.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Hunter1May 19th, 2015, 3:04 pm
Maryland

I bought two Sage LL rods in the late 90's. one is a 8'6" 2 piece 3 wt, the other is a 9' 3 piece 4 wt. I loved them since the first time i tried them out. I had to have them.I think the LL series was one of the best rod's made. I'll never get rid of them. 4 wt will be put to use tomorrow.
ColoradoKenNovember 2nd, 2017, 5:34 am
Granby, Colorado

my father in law gave me a couple sage rods years ago, an 8wt DS2, which ive fished and i like, but am not at all in love with. ill keep this rod forever although i dont fish it much. The other i have never cast till yesterday. it is an original sage 789RP (demo). 8'9" 7wt. I threw on an intermediate sink tip line that i had available and made some casts in the yard, it felt great. Im going to the lake today to throw some streamers for lake trout. Really fun to think this is the rod that started it all (for sage) and was made the year i was born!

edit: this is a copy and paste from another forum, thought it is helpful:
"Est Year Model Description
1982 RP Resaerve Power for long Casts
1982 GFL? Graphite II
1985 RPL or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 LL Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 RPLX Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 DS Discovery Series - Moderate Action
1986 TH? Double Handed ?
1997 SPL "Best of show" new rods
1997 RPLxi Revised and improved saltwater
1999 XP Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 SLT Medium Fast Action
2003 TCR Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 Xi2 New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 TXL Near weightless for light lines
2005 Fli Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 Launch Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 VT2 Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 Z-Axis Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 BASS Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 ZXL Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 TCX Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current ONE Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current VXP Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current Flight Great features and a great price
Current Vantage Medium Fast value rod
Current TXL-F Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current ZXL Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current Xi3 Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current 99 Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current BASS II Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current ESN Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies"
Tight Lines,
Ken
WbranchNovember 2nd, 2017, 5:52 am
York & Starlight PA

ColoradoKen wrote;

Really fun to think this is the rod that started it all (for sage) and was made the year I was born!

And what year was that Ken?

I bought my first Sage in 1990 and paid $285 for it. It is a 9' #4 2 piece Light Line Series. I used to fish it constantly from 1990 to about 2000 when I started to fish Gatti rods. I still have that 9' #4 and would never sell it. Every year I say to myself "why don't you fish that LL rod this year" but I always opt for one of the 7 or 8 9' #4 rods I have lying around. I also had a 9' #5 Fli that I left on top of my car and drove off without remembering where I had put it and I had a 9' #4 Flight that I really liked for it's reasonable price of $350 and it's many good features. I would up selling that rod to buy an Orvis Helios 2 which is currently my favorite 9' #4 rod.

My best friend has a couple RPL's in lengths 8' 6" and #4 & #5 lines. Over the years I built many Sage rods for myself. A 8' 9" #3 2 pc LL that I sold for $500. A matched set of LL rods in 9' 3 piece and lines #4, 5, and 6. All had blackened nickel silver reel seat hardware and cocobolo wood inserts. They are all gone now to new homes all around the country. I hope they are still being fished and enjoyed as much as I enjoyed them.

CrepuscularNovember 6th, 2017, 8:34 am
Boiling Springs, PA

my father in law gave me a couple sage rods years ago, an 8wt DS2, which ive fished and i like, but am not at all in love with. ill keep this rod forever although i dont fish it much. The other i have never cast till yesterday. it is an original sage 789RP (demo). 8'9" 7wt. I threw on an intermediate sink tip line that i had available and made some casts in the yard, it felt great. Im going to the lake today to throw some streamers for lake trout. Really fun to think this is the rod that started it all (for sage) and was made the year i was born!

edit: this is a copy and paste from another forum, thought it is helpful:
"Est Year Model Description
1982 RP Resaerve Power for long Casts
1982 GFL? Graphite II
1985 RPL or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 LL Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 RPLX Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 DS Discovery Series - Moderate Action
1986 TH? Double Handed ?
1997 SPL "Best of show" new rods
1997 RPLxi Revised and improved saltwater
1999 XP Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 SLT Medium Fast Action
2003 TCR Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 Xi2 New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 TXL Near weightless for light lines
2005 Fli Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 Launch Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 VT2 Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 Z-Axis Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 BASS Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 ZXL Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 TCX Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current ONE Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current VXP Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current Flight Great features and a great price
Current Vantage Medium Fast value rod
Current TXL-F Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current ZXL Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current Xi3 Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current 99 Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current BASS II Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current ESN Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies"

neat timeline but it's not up to date, unless you follow closely, it's hard to stay up to date with Sage :)
WbranchNovember 6th, 2017, 3:27 pm
York & Starlight PA

And why is it that rod companies feel that they must develop better, faster, slower, longer, shorter fly rods every single year? I used to remember when Orvis was selling bamboo as their primary rod line and they didn't keep adding new models every year until the fly fishing boon of the mid 1970's. The Orvis Battenkill was their flagship rod for years and years. It came in many lengths and line weights and 2 and 3 piece configuration but it was still a Battenkill. Then I remember the debut of the Flea a lovely 6' 6" #4 weight rod in 2 piece configuration. I owned many Orvis, as well as other makers, cane rods but when I started fishing large rivers more often than small waters and the average trout was 16" I sold all the cane except for on 7' 6" #5 Carpenter I line up once every spring for Hendrickson's on the Yellow breeches and then take it down a week or two later and wait to use it again the next year.

Now I don't even try to keep abreast of the latest Sage rods. It is just too complicated for me and somewhere in the 20+ fly rods I still possess I think there are a couple of rods that will continue to serve me well and bring a hundred or so trout to hand every year for the rest of my angling life.
FisherdaveNovember 17th, 2017, 5:55 pm
Gun Barrel City, tx

Hey, everybody. Dave @ Cedar Creek Lake here. Just came across a rod in my Grandpa's old garage that I need info on?? A Sage Hi-Modulus Fiberglass B676-4SFS in mint condition, but no luck locating any information on this specific rod online. Anybody out there have any idea of worth, rarity, age (looks pretty old)?
FisherdaveNovember 17th, 2017, 6:35 pm
Gun Barrel City, tx

Hey, everybody. Dave @ Cedar Creek Lake here. Just came across a rod in my Grandpa's old garage that I need info on?? A Sage Hi-Modulus Fiberglass B676-4SFS in mint condition, but no luck locating any information on this specific rod online. Anybody out there have any idea of worth, rarity, age (looks pretty old)?

thank it might be sfs from 1983
Page:12345

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.