Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What kind of replacement fly reel should I get

Cptenn94September 7th, 2015, 3:21 am
Chattanooga

Hello I have a question about fly reels. Currently I have 2 rods and reels. A 3wt and a 5wt. The 3 wt I am not having any issues with currently. However I am having issues with the reel on my 5 wt rod.

For starters, it frequently will kind of jam up when I have most of my fly line in. Basically when I am reeling it in, sometimes it will get to the point where the line piles enough on the reel that the line rubs the interior of the reel, ultimately causing wear on the fly line.

Secondly, when I strip line from the reel, part of the reel will sometimes actually cut a little into the line itself. It has just enough of a edge to do this, but it wears it down more gradually.

So essentially I have a reel that does not have enough space that when the fly line happens to pile on a little more in the middle, instead of fully spreading out, it rubs and causes friction against the inside of the reel, and also the reel will sometimes damage the line when I strip line.

Now that I have stated the problem here lies my question. What would be a good replacement reel that would work for my situation? Right now I am on a more tight budget, but I can purchase something a little more expensive it it really makes a big difference.

One thing that right now is of minimal concern is the drag. Right now I dont fight any large fish that would require a high quality drag. My first priority in getting a new reel is one that does not damage my line as easily as my current one does at a affordable price.

The reel in question is part of the wildwater package I bought of amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fly-Fishing-Complete/dp/B001IAHX6A

I could take some pictures later to show exactly my problems.

On a different note. Thanks for the advice you guys have given me in the past Thanks to some of your advice I was able to capture this beauty at a tellico river tributary(in tennessee).

(my first brookie!!!)
PaulRobertsSeptember 7th, 2015, 8:57 am
Colorado

First, I'd start by taking some backing off the reel. Strip out all the line (layed out across the floor -if you don't have a line winder) and then strip off 10 yards or so of backing. Then replace the line.

Congrats on your first brookie. They are a wonder.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.