Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Question about Fly reel # versus rod #

NoreasterJuly 1st, 2012, 6:41 pm
I'm new so be gentle. I have a vintage 7'6'' 2 piece Sage Graphite III fly rod and it recommends a #5 line and reel. My question is could I use a 4 weight reel with a 5 weight line and get away with it?

The rod is feather lite and I was hoping to find a really lite reel. The Sage fly reel I wanted to use has a 2 and change oz difference in the weight between the 3/4 and the 5/6 reels. Is this ok or is it bad? I know I would lose backing space but I have never caught a fish where I needed backing. Mostly under 2 pound trout I am fishing.
thank you
MartinlfJuly 1st, 2012, 8:36 pm
Palmyra PA

I've seen various opinions from various experts on how a reel should balance on a rod. I think if someone else's rule doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter. Can you try both on the rod to see how it feels to you? The line should fit on either reel, but you can cut down the back of the line if you need to, or if want a little more backing. It never hurts to have a little just in case. I have had a fish or two take me into the backing; you never know when it might happen. I use gel spun backing (20 or 30 pound test Powerpro fishing line) and it works very well for me. It is very strong, and has a small diameter, but it sits well on the reel and winds on and off smoothly.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
ShantiJuly 2nd, 2012, 6:55 am
Sweden

Good advice from Martinlf, about the gel spun backing.

I'd say it's important that the reel ain't too light, that will only make your rod feel tip-heavy. And even if I don't care all that much about weight when it comes to gear, I don't want that feeling.
I have a light 7' #3-rod, which I use all sorts of reels on, some of them heavy.

Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
GutcutterJuly 2nd, 2012, 7:45 pm
Pennsylvania

I use gel spun backing (20 or 30 pound test Powerpro fishing line) and it works very well for me. It is very strong, and has a small diameter, but it sits well on the reel and winds on and off smoothly.

Be very careful with that stuff. Even a short run into your backing can ruin your trip, and ability to fish.
That will cut you like a razor. Imagine a 1/4 inch deep paper cut.
Been there. I would never recommend it.
Stick with Dacron.
If you have to use it for some reason, pay more attention to your fingers and reel than to the fish.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
NoreasterJuly 2nd, 2012, 9:05 pm
MartinlfJuly 2nd, 2012, 10:03 pm
Palmyra PA

Tony, I'll have to beg to differ, with some acknowledgement that handling the stuff without care could conceivably lead to problems. I've been using it for years and have had big fish on the Delaware take me into the backing on a number of occasions. I've never had a problem. Just get the fish on the reel, and you're fine. Plenty of folks do use it. Though I wouldn't in the salt; now that could be dangerous.

--Fred Chappell
GutcutterJuly 2nd, 2012, 10:15 pm
Pennsylvania

... and have had big fish on the Delaware take me into the backing on a number of occasions. I've never had a problem. Just get the fish on the reel, and you're fine...

When the fish is in the backing, you're already "on the reel". A trout may take you into your backing, but it doesn't make a fast run, nor fight for a long time.
I'm not doubting that you use it, and use it well, but there really is no use for gelspun backing on a freshwater reel, unless you want to utilize a smaller reel for a larger species on a heavier rod - like an Alaskan Silver on a five weight using a three or four weight reel.
Now with a fresh coho on light line - watch your fingers - even with Dacron.
My point is, that if you want to "take up room" on a reel heavier than your rod (a five weight reel on a three weight rod) Dacron has a larger diameter per yard of line. If you want to use a smaller reel for a heavier rod, then use some Dacron (20 pound) but, it won't be as much line.
You will rarely need to see the backing on a trout reel under normal circumstances.
I was "talked out" of 50 pound gelspun on a tarpon reel after I cut myself on a 2 pound bonefish.
Besides, it was three hundred yards of 30 pound Dacron instead of three fifty of gel spun.
I realized that I never came close to being "spooled" with the Dacron, even on hundred pound plus tarpon.
My two pennies
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfJuly 2nd, 2012, 10:53 pm
Palmyra PA

I've had a couple of big Main Stem bows peel a lot of backing off, and I like having a good bit for insurance. My Lamson Radius 2 reels simply won't hold the amount I like to have plus fly line if I use dacron. I may have a bit too much, but I know guys who have been spooled on the Main Stem, and I don't want to join their ranks. There are plenty of other ways to lose fish there. :)

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.