Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Backing

TrtklrJanuary 24th, 2009, 3:58 pm
Banned
Michigan

as i have said THE STEELHEAD ARE COMING! the backing i use came off a reel i bought with it already on. it's more like string. i got a friend who uses amnesia and no fly line-he's a bait fisherman. i also used fireline this last fall for some trolling for salmon. the problem i'm in is i cant get much backing on my new reels. and i am thinking about going to amnesia, or something similar, because it has a much smaller diameter. what do you all think? i apoligize if you guys have already had this discussion. i looked through the threads but didn't have too much time.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
LittleJJanuary 24th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

If you are using dacron you could just switch to gel-spun I think you can get something like 50% more on. I've been thinking of switching to amnesia(no fly line ) myself for short line nymphing.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 25th, 2009, 9:09 am
Palmyra PA

Jeff, I use PowerPro gel spun line for my backing. It's very thin, and makes very good backing. I make a loop in the end by whipping a loop with gsp tying thread after putting a bit of epoxy in the connecting wraps. I use a rod winding finish with a loop of gsp to finish the wraps very smoothly, and put some super glue over the wraps. The wraps are very thin and never hang up in the guides. I connect this to a loop in the end of my flyline. So far, it's bombproof; several big fish have taken me into my backing with no failures. It's very easy to change fly line later, just put a loop in the end of the fly line. (I do this a different way from the way I put the loop in the Powerpro, tapering the end of a section of stripped and partly raveled fly line and pulling it back into the coated core after putting a bit of super glue on the part to be pulled into the core to form the loop. I can send you directions (from Fly Fisherman Magazine, I think, an old issue) if you want to try it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 27th, 2009, 8:07 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

louis, I'd like to see the directions when you have the time. Currently I just Nail not my line to the backing and I know it is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately I seldom see my backing but it would be nice to have a good knot when the time comes.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 27th, 2009, 10:33 am
Palmyra PA

Jeff,

I'm sure a nail knot works just fine with standard backing. My system is probably not any more secure--but it makes line changes a snap, and does allow for a good smooth connection to the gel spun backing. I don't know if a nail knot will work with that stuff; it's small diameter and a bit slippery. They recommend special knots with it. I'll send you some photocopies of ways to make loops along with my flies if I can locate the articles (I save all flyfishing magazines and have most articles indexed; that's how crazy I am).
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TrtklrJanuary 27th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Banned
Michigan

so i was at retail outlet shopping for amnesia, thinking i was going to use it as backing, the fly guy tells me don't do that it will explode your reel. he's telling me that when a large fish is on and taking line(backing) the line tightens on the reel or compresses the line when amnesia is used, and results in a lot of pressure on the sides of the reel, and will literally push them out. where as normal backing will pack down. hmmm.
Dr_BlueDunJanuary 31st, 2009, 1:35 pm
Long Island NY

I would concur as to the use of Amnesia line---it will tend to spring on you in a tightly wound situation--I think it is an absolute horror on spinning reels. I use Cortland backing line or Cabela's backing line and if you don't trust a nail knot then use a double UNI you cannot go wrong with that knot. Power Pro is great line but, too expensive to waste as a backing line IMHO. While we are on knots, what are you using for the fly-to-tippet knot? I have found that in recent years with fluoro tippet materials the old double Clinch knot isn't doing it, too many "unravels." I began using the Orvis knot last season and with big Salmon taking the fly quite aggressively, have not had an (unravel) "break-off." Just an extra two cents.
"Doc"
SandflyJanuary 31st, 2009, 3:24 pm
tioga co. pa.

what size line and reel are you using ?? How much backing does the reel call for and strenth ??
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
TrtklrFebruary 2nd, 2009, 8:00 am
Banned
Michigan

I have the correct line wt to reel. I have purchased two set-ups a 5wt and a 8 wt. the 5wt was a l.l. bean 7ft combo. I am using the line from that combo but not the reel or the pole. the 8wt is a st croix combo with a new reel. when i transferred the line, neatly, i dropped some of the backing. the problem is those were small arbor reels and these are larger. i can hear some of you moaning about the combos. but what you don't know is these were my first rod and reel purchases and i got em at the same time. the 5wt still in the box. the 8wt with rod/reel case like new, marked $40 and $50 at a pawn shop i got em both for 75 out the door. the 8wt is nice only thing i don't like is it's a two piece. the 7ft is nice for some small streams here MI and casts nice. oh, no, i won't be using the 5wt for steelhead. although i have read of someone fishing steelhead with every wt down to a 2. I think i'll try the gel spun.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.