Scientific name search:

> > Allen Fly Reels

DavepaJanuary 5th, 2015, 2:04 pm
LaVale, Maryland

Anyone using the Allen ATS fly reel?
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/ats-reel-series/
WbranchJanuary 5th, 2015, 10:24 pm
York & Starlight PA

Nope I've never heard of Allen fly reels but they are probably one of dozens of knock off fly reels being made in China. I needed a 8/9 large arbor last year and found a gorgeous reel on Ebay called the "Clark". Very nice black gloss finish with a red drag mechanism on the inside like the Nautilus reels. Personally for my limited salt water usage it is a great reel that cost me $99.00. The drag is infinitely variable via a knurled knob on the housing and it sufficiently strong enough to turn powerful salt water fish like permit and horse eye jacks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CatskilljonJanuary 5th, 2015, 10:54 pm
Upstate NY

Not an ATS, but I picked up one of their trout series reels last winter at the Somerset show. Very nice reel for the price [show price 20% less than what they usually sell for, it was under $100.00] and I was pretty impressed with the quality, especially the drag that is instant start-up and glass smooth. The one thing I dislike about it is, the spool "ticks" when your casting. Not a problem with inferior machining, its the tiny free play between the teeth on the clicker. I don't always feel it, but its enough that I am constantly checking the reel seat to make sure its not the reel falling off.

I am going to ask them about it at the show again this winter, and I will probably pick up another...they are really nice. CJ
LeeblantonMarch 17th, 2015, 3:15 pm
Fort Worth, TX

Wbranch, the company is based in TX. They produce quality reels, for a great price. I don't appreciate and I am sure they don't either you calling them cheap knock offs. You could and probably should have left it at no I have never heard of them. To me they are the equivalent to TFO, is TFO a cheap knock off, no they are affordable and highly effective. If the product works for you then great if it doesn't there is no need to belittle anyone. I don't like sage rods, I simply don't cast them well but does that mean they are a bad company? All I ask as a Fly Fishing Professional is please try and be Professional.
Kschaefer3March 17th, 2015, 3:40 pm
St. Paul, MN

Wbranch, the company is based in TX. They produce quality reels, for a great price. I don't appreciate and I am sure they don't either you calling them cheap knock offs. You could and probably should have left it at no I have never heard of them. To me they are the equivalent to TFO, is TFO a cheap knock off, no they are affordable and highly effective. If the product works for you then great if it doesn't there is no need to belittle anyone. I don't like sage rods, I simply don't cast them well but does that mean they are a bad company? All I ask as a Fly Fishing Professional is please try and be Professional.

Wbranch doesn't seem to be belittling them. He says they are likely a knock off, and then goes on to say how he purchased a similar reel online for a great value and really likes it for what he purchased it for (a fishing buddy of mine loves those Ebay Clark reels). His saying "probably" means it is just a conjecture anyway. It is purely his opinion based on incomplete information, and as a forum of both professional and non-professional anglers (Wbranch being the latter), we are really just sharing our opinions anyway.

Allen reels, except for the two most expensive, are neither manufactured nor assembled in the US. So, despite the company being based in TX, they do not produce most reels in the US. The Kraken XLA is assembled in the US and the Omega is fully made in the US. Those reels are $340 and $575 respectively.

Not that it matters, but the company reminds me of Lamson when the Konic was $100. They produce reasonable quality at a reasonable price. They are able to offer that because they go overseas for manufacturing.
WbranchMarch 17th, 2015, 6:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

Dear Mr. Leeblanton,

Nope I've never heard of Allen fly reels but they are probably one of dozens of knock off fly reels being made in China. I needed a 8/9 large arbor last year and found a gorgeous reel on Ebay called the "Clark". Very nice black gloss finish with a red drag mechanism on the inside like the Nautilus reels. Personally for my limited salt water usage it is a great reel that cost me $99.00. The drag is infinitely variable via a knurled knob on the housing and it sufficiently strong enough to turn powerful salt water fish like permit and horse eye jacks.

If you are going to quote me at least quote me correctly. Whose belittling? I wasn't aware the phrase "knock off" is politically incorrect. I prefer to use the phrase attributed to Charles Caleb Colton "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Please re-read my post. I did not call them "cheap". I just called them "knock off reels" and what is so bad about that? Are they the engineering and workmanship equivalent of a Lamson Litespeed, a Ross Evolution, or a Galvan Torque? Probably not but for the money I'm sure they are very functional and offer sufficient cosmetics to entice many buyers, especially for users who might want a back up reel when traveling on a special trip, or for the budget minded fly fisher. BTW if I am anything regarding my avocation to my lifelong pursuit of fly fishing is that I am courteous, supportive, and professional in my demeanor and total approach to the sport.

Kyle, You are also misquoting me when you came to my aid but I do appreciate your standing up, and supporting me.
Wbranch doesn't seem to be belittling them. He says they are likely a cheap knock off,
Kschaefer3March 18th, 2015, 3:45 pm
St. Paul, MN

Kyle, You are also misquoting me when you came to my aid but I do appreciate your standing up, and supporting me.

My apologies, Matt. That was not my intention. I edited my post to accurately reflect what you said.
WbranchMarch 18th, 2015, 5:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

Thanks, it's pretty funny the guy added "cheap" and then wrote that I said it.
MiltRPowellMarch 19th, 2015, 3:20 pm
I was thinking there must be a reason why Mr. Leeblanton was so upset, (As I see it) so I looked abit. This is what I found.!!!!!

Allen Fly Company, owner Justin Allen Founder/ Ceo May 2007- present. Southlake, Tx.
http:/ www.allenflyfishing.com
They do make a reel that is made in U.S.A. Omega series. Justin A. spent over 2 years in design of said reel. It's his flagship so to speak. Plus, reel
pouches, hand built in U.S.A., with american made materials. Plus more products. Reels are made Omega series in the heart land of manufacturing (The American Midwest):)- la -la-la.!!!
Justin Allen-went to Ball State U. College of Business.--- Business & Marketing 1995-2001.
His skills are to many to list: But I shall.
-Fishing,Marketing Strategy, Strategic Planning, New Business Development, Sales Management, Customer Service, Negotiation, Team Building, Building Stratery, Microsoft Office,Marketing,& Product Development.
Now with that all said, ( I think ) we as fisherman are going to see more of Justin Allen & his new American based company!
To respect Troutnut, & the forum: This is just infro on a post. (Allen Fly Reels) -(Not Salesmenship).....
Thanks to this post: I learned something here,& I like it.
Best luck to Justin A. ( I think ) it is a hard thing he has under-took in today's times. Go Justin Allen. ( I shall be watching ) Milt......
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.