Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Opinion Needed!

GldstrmSamMarch 10th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I would like to know all of your opinions on this reel.
http://www.cabelas.com/fly-fishing-reels-cabelas-prestige-fly-reel-2.shtml

Thanks,

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
SofthackleMarch 10th, 2012, 5:46 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

I like the reel for the price, but compare to this. http://www.basspro.com/Hobbs-Creek-Large-Arbor-Fly-Reels-or-Spare-Spools/product/44558/90104

I own one of these and it performs well. With that said, it all depends upon what you fish for most. You might find either of these inadequate, but for standard trout fishing, they'll work.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
FisherOfMenMarch 10th, 2012, 5:53 pm
NY

I'm so inexperienced my opinion really doesn't mean much, but it looks like a good reel for the price. It seems similar to the ones I've seen in the $80 - $100 range, but it looks... "plainer". The porting isn't fancy, and it doesn't have an amazing sheen. This might mean it really is an $80 reel minus the good looks equals a $40 reel.

The only problems that seem to arise (after a quick google) are that the reel goes out of balance after awhile, and the drag isn't as adjustable as advertised.

But, like I said - I'm a newbie. I use a $20 Martin Caddis Creek Reel!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
GldstrmSamMarch 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I been thinking about spending around 65$ for a good reel and put fly line on that reel for the kind of fly fishing I would do the most of. Then I would get a few cheep reels(10-20$) and put on the lesser used type of fly line on those. What is your opinion on that?

Thanks for your info Nick and Mark.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
SofthackleMarch 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Sam,
A good reel probably will cost more than $65, although you might find a few fair reels in that price range. Finding reels for $20 is tough. Cabelas Wind River reel doesn't look too bad for $30. Again, it's all about the fish you will be catching. Larger fish require a better made, perhaps a disk drag reel. Medium sized fish can even be handled with a click and pawl drag system. It served many anglers for many years. Really do your homework before you buy, and if possible, it'd be nice to hold the reel in your hand, work it, and examine the quality.

Mark

PS< make sure you check out Orvis and L.L.Bean, too. They offer some reasonably priced reels as well.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
FisherOfMenMarch 11th, 2012, 10:17 am
NY

I was doing quite a bit of research for a $20 reel with backing and line, and I think the Martin Caddis Creek is a pretty good choice. I got it for $20 at WalMart and the best part is the neon orange fly line!

The only problem I have found with this reel is the small gap between the spool and casing, if you reel in your leader, it can get caught and you just have to take the spool off and put it back on, takes about three seconds.

Reviews read that people have lost fish due to fly line getting in this crack, but the 5# line doesn't fit, so I think they're making excuses...

It can be sorta loud, too. It's just a click drag, non adjustable, but I like to apply drag manually anyway. Good resistance for pulling off line when casting.

I would suggest this reel for your other rods.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Martin-MLT63-Fly-Reel/16651715
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
StokesSeptember 26th, 2013, 11:27 pm
Columbia county,NY

I have that reel on a 3wt rod I got from them,Three Forks,I believe.The reel seems to be decent,although I prefer a click and pawl drag.I tried it on my 2wt Clearwater rod and found the Prestige too heavy.I ended up with a Battenkill on the 2wt.
JoeinnmOctober 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm
Albuquerque

I have one of these reels. I dropped mine in the water and got some sand in it. I just about locked up solid. I now got a reel from Qualifly Products that is water tight and at a good price. If you don't get your reel wet get the Cabelas.
StokesOctober 2nd, 2013, 11:16 am
Columbia county,NY

Joe,I just realized we are responding to a thread that started over a year ago
EntomanOctober 2nd, 2013, 1:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi guys,

Yeah, it's easy to do. What happens is once you post to a topic, the forum topics list below it will show related topics instead of the current list. After posting, you have to refresh by clicking the forum button (up on the menu bar) to get back to the current list. Newbies are the most susceptible to this phenomena, but even veterans fall for it occasionally (I once answered a question that was asked 4 years prior).:)

Why is it set up this way? Well, Jason thought it would be a good way to access the wealth of previous commentary on the same or similar topics that would otherwise be hard to find. It is especially helpful when discussing particular critters. Though occasionally leading to "oops" moments, the trade off is well worth it, IMO.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.