Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing rod sensitivity!

GraysonJanuary 24th, 2021, 10:08 pm
New York, NY

Reading several threads regarding sensitivity in bass fishing rods prompted me to ask this question, what is bass fishing rod sensitivity?

Nearly everyone wants a sensitive fishing rod that can detect the slightest strike or the difference between structure textures like sand, clay, soft mud, clamshells, etc. So tell me how do you think a fishing rod helps you determine changes in bottom structure or detect the slightest strikes?
Grayson Everett
WbranchJanuary 25th, 2021, 9:05 am
York & Starlight PA

Since this site is primarily related to fly fishing and most fly fishers pursue their quarry in moving water it is not likely we would have the same criteria to judge rod sensitivity.

Additionally the traditional concept of fly fishing is to employ artificial flies to elicit strikes from the fish. Therefore we don't feel "bites" so much as we feel when the fish grabs at our flies and that action is transmitted through the line to the rod. I'd venture to say 100% of fly fishers want a rod with flex in the tip and a strong butt to assist fighting and lifting fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Red_green_hJanuary 25th, 2021, 1:28 pm
New Mexico

As someone who fished large mouth regularly in ponds and lakes in Iowa growing up I don't think sensitivity is a term that is needed when fishing for large mouth. They have one of the most violent strikes of any fish. Whether you're fishing top water or some type of lure you know when a large mouth strikes. There's no mistaking it. I cannot think of one scenario when having a lighter or more sensitive rod would have yielded me more large mouth. There really isn't finesse when fishing large mouth. Either they take it or they don't. When fishing large mouth I usually used a Texas rig with 8 inch plastic black or black/blue worms and never used line heavier than 6 lb test.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
OliverJamesApril 30th, 2021, 5:15 am
London

Hello everyone, the topic is very interesting. I have been choosing a rod for fishing for a long time. And I chose the coil in the same way. I saw a review of a Shimano reel on YouTube, and then read this article about reels https://theoutdoorsman.org/best-shimano-spinning-reels/ . Do any of you use Shimano reels? And is it worth buying it at all, I will be glad for your help.
Olver.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.