Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sage rods...old and new, Page 4

CatskilljonFebruary 16th, 2015, 10:52 pm
Upstate NY

I fish smaller streams and find that even if I am fortunate enough to latch onto something big, the drag system doesn't get much of a workout. I know some of my buddies on the Delaware love a disc drag, because those tough-guy rainbows run hard.

In this day of catch and release a smooth effective drag can shorten a fight and wear out a fish sooner, allowing you to get em back in the stream quicker. The click and pawl reels, especially the older ones give little resistance and once the spool gets spinning, its just about to freewheel and does almost nothing to slow the fish.

It all depends on the species and the environments. That's why there is such a huge array of reels to choose from! CJ
WbranchFebruary 17th, 2015, 12:12 am
York & Starlight PA

I have a feeling I'm losing the case for the question "Do we really need high end disc drag reel for trout?" I have quite a few disc drag LA reels. Two Lamson Litespeeds; a 1.5. & a 2, a Hardy disc drag, and a Teton. All are fine reels and I do like the LA feature. But I also have an Abel Creek 2 that is a narrow spool LA reel with a click and pawl drag that I use exclusively on my #4 rod on the Delaware and the Missouri and I've never lost a big fish because my drag was just a click and pawl. I prefer to let a big fish run itself out and get into the backing a couple of times. It is going to get played out from long runs and then it is a relatively easy matter of bringing the fish to net.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnFebruary 18th, 2015, 12:56 pm
Novi, MI

I have a feeling I'm losing the case for the question "Do we really need high end disc drag reel for trout?"

Not with me Matt...My little Hardy's, like yours, work just fine...Maybe steelhead, or salmon, or out on the salt I'd want some drag, but for the most part, 99% of the time, it really isn't needed. IMHO.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnFebruary 18th, 2015, 1:05 pm
Novi, MI

Jon -

If you ever expect to land large trout and steelhead (or any species for that matter) on a consistent basis, you'd better learn to use your reel. Get excess line back on the spool as quickly as possible and use it with every fish. That way you'll be ready when the big boy takes your fly.

18" smallie = 28" brown? Your friend is full of horse feathers... :)

:) Kurt. I'm saving up to buy a rod and reel set for Jonathon, say in a 5-6wt range, in hopes that one day he'll stop this non-stop crowing about the virtues of his 3wt.

Does he think he's Lee Wulff? :)

Right tool for the job...That's what she said! :)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Legaulois31March 3rd, 2015, 3:35 am
France

Hi,
Generally, when we arrive on a forum, we have to introduce ourself.
Sorry but I did not find the page for that.
I am French and I live in the South of France.
My English level is not very high but I do my best!

I am a collector of bamboo rods. And I go fishing exclusively with bamboo rods. For the last year I am retired and I have plenty of time to go to put my flies on the rivers of France and Europe.
Yesterday, to match with one of my bamboo rod, I bought a Classic reel Sage 505.
This one:
< />
Question:
Can anybody tell me when were made these reels?

It seems to me that these reels were made by House of Hardy for Sage ( just like Hardy made the same reel for Pezon and Michel ) but I don't know when exactly. in the 60's, 70's or 80's.
Thank you for your answers.
The one who fights can lose, the one who does not fight has . . . . . already lost!
CrepuscularMarch 3rd, 2015, 5:45 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Question:
Can anybody tell me when were made these reels?

Welcome. Legaulois! Hardy made the 500 series reels for Sage in the 1980's. I apologize, but I do not remember the exact years of manufacture. Very nice reels especially for the price.

Eric
Legaulois31March 3rd, 2015, 7:36 am
France

Thank you Eric, for your fast answer.
I think that I am fortunate to have bought this reel in mint condition with a spare spool for only 232$ .
Le Gaulois
The one who fights can lose, the one who does not fight has . . . . . already lost!
WbranchMarch 3rd, 2015, 9:22 am
York & Starlight PA

Legaulois31,

Your command of the written English language is excellent. I'd bet it is better than the French knowledge of many of our Forum members. Welcome to Troutnut I'd enjoy hearing about trout fishing in France or other European countries you have fished.
CatskilljonMarch 3rd, 2015, 5:56 pm
Upstate NY

Legaulois,

I had my eye on that too...but the abortion with the dime glued on the frame turned me off.

Maybe you know or you do not, but there was a plastic cap covering the arbor nut in the place where your US dime now sits. These were prone to fall off while fishing and some guys did creative things to "repair" it.

I have 2 of these reels, and on the one that the cap was missing I turned a brass plug that looks like the original plastic one and blued it.

As for age, I have a copy of Sages 1984 catalog and they list the 5"L" series as being introduced that year. I assume the non "L" versions [like yours] were made earlier, but I don't think too much earlier, maybe 4 or 5 years.

You are correct, Hardy made them for Sage and they are beautiful and light, the anodizing is very unique too, I really enjoy mine. CJ
GusMarch 5th, 2015, 1:38 pm
colorado

I prefer the older Sages as well. The new one's seem way to stiff. I have a couple of the old ones and really have enjoyed them. It seems the longer I fly fish the more and more i'm drawn to slower action rods. Last year I added a couple glass rods to my ultralight collection and am thinking about doing a 5wt or 6wt this year.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Legaulois31March 10th, 2015, 2:17 pm
France

Legaulois,

I had my eye on that too...but the abortion with the dime glued on the frame turned me off.

Maybe you know or you do not, but there was a plastic cap covering the arbor nut in the place where your US dime now sits. These were prone to fall off while fishing and some guys did creative things to "repair" it.

I have 2 of these reels, and on the one that the cap was missing I turned a brass plug that looks like the original plastic one and blued it.

As for age, I have a copy of Sages 1984 catalog and they list the 5"L" series as being introduced that year. I assume the non "L" versions [like yours] were made earlier, but I don't think too much earlier, maybe 4 or 5 years.

You are correct, Hardy made them for Sage and they are beautiful and light, the anodizing is very unique too, I really enjoy mine. CJ

Ok the reel was made at the begining of 80's.
About the plastic cap:
I didn’t know this model of reel SAGE ,( I knew only the modern reel )
Before bidding, I had seen this detail because the seller had specified this incident. It seems to me that the “repair” was clean and finally I decided to buy the reel. ( sorry for you ) and now I look forward to this reel.
< />
ParsondApril 16th, 2015, 1:01 pm
Green River Wyoming

I own 4 Sage XP's that I would fight to the death to protect. I also have a 9' Sage One 6 wt. for meat chucking that I have to admit is a serious cannon with a short sink tip on it.

I like fast rods. We have a TON of wind here in SW Wyoming and they help. I recently cast a clients Sage Method (9'6" 6wt with a Rio indicator In touch line) set up in the classic tail water multi-bug/shot/thingamabobber configuration and I LOVED it. I want me one of those now...

However, when push comes to shove and I am headed out to wander a stream and have no real plan other then to fish, I grab a 9' 5wt XP with Rio Gold loaded in the reel. It is a great rod. She understands me like I wish the girls in High School would have...
WbranchApril 16th, 2015, 1:53 pm
York & Starlight PA

She understands me like I wish the girls in High School would have...

Got to be one of the coolest comments I've heard in a long time!
Kschaefer3April 20th, 2015, 12:28 pm
St. Paul, MN

I have a 9' 5wt Sage One that I love. I recently bought a 9' 6wt Sage Response that is a great rod for bigger streamers. When I was at the fly shop last Thursday, they had a used 9' 5 wt Sage RP that was in almost perfect condition. I bought it as a backup 5wt since my St. Croix has grooved out guides that eat my line. It is my first foray into older Sage rods. I have to say that it casts like a dream. Not nearly as fast as I'm used to, but that things can toss some serious line. That rod has me itching to try some other older model Sage rods. I've bought 3 rods in the last 2 weeks though, so I might want to cool it for a bit! :)
WbranchApril 20th, 2015, 12:49 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle,

Look around for one of the Light Line series of rods. I'd say they were built around 1990 - 1992. I used to have a whole stable of them in 2 pc and 3 pc design. I still have a 9' #4 2 pc factory rod and a 8' 9" #3 2 pc that I built with a blackened nickel silver cap and ring D/L reelseat and impregnated rosewood spacer. Both lovely, more mid flex, fly rods.

CatskilljonApril 20th, 2015, 6:04 pm
Upstate NY

When I was at the fly shop last Thursday, they had a used 9' 5 wt Sage RP that was in almost perfect condition. I bought it as a backup 5wt since my St. Croix has grooved out guides that eat my line. It is my first foray into older Sage rods. I have to say that it casts like a dream. Not nearly as fast as I'm used to, but that things can toss some serious line. That rod has me itching to try some other older model Sage rods.

The RP's and RPL's are great rods. Aesthetically, they lack the bling the LL's have [though some were dressed nice] but they are a great representation of classic graphite in every way. Good score there man, you will certainly enjoy it! CJ
WbranchApril 24th, 2015, 1:15 am
York & Starlight PA

Here is the Sage LL 8' 9" #3 2 piece I built about twenty years ago. You can see from the condition of the cork and blemish free blank that the rod has seen very light usage.

BTW I have a Sage RP 379 (7' 9" #3) that I'm altering for the owner. The rod blank is in perfect condition. He didn't like the cork reelseat with an aluminum sliding band and asked me to remove the stock seat and replace it with something nicer. I just ordered a Bellinger nickel silver D/L cap and sliding band seat with rope knurl on the sliding band and a stabilized black ash burl morticed wood insert. I'll post a photo when it is completed.

http://www.genuinebellinger.com/store/down-locking-sliding-band-660.html

Interesting story on the rod, this fellow was on the Willowemoc in NY last year and actually found the rod, in it's original tube and cloth sack on the bank. No one was around so he took the rod to Roscoe to a fly shop and told the shop owner how he got the rod. The fly shop owner told the fellow "Leave it here for two months and if no one claims it I'll call you and you can keep the rod".
OldredbarnMay 12th, 2015, 1:00 pm
Novi, MI

Matt,

I've been trying to get a closer look, but nice job there on wrapping that Sage. Looks great! Especially considering how old you say it is.

My LL is a 9' 5wt. I have two RPL's made at the same time. One is a 9' 5wt, and the other an 8' 4wt.

I was just up and fished with the LL and noticed its showing some wear. I think it is from using it a great deal, but also from using it almost every time I float. I think that banging around in a boat can be a little rough. It is a great rod from the front of an Au Sable river boat.

Those three Sage's and an old Loomis IMX (8.6' for 5)were all wrapped by a good friend of mine. I actually got the Loomis out a couple weekends ago with my nephew out back on the lawn. He and I did a day long Youth school class run by my club.

The Loomis had the tip break in the early 90's...Wife drove our canoe into some sweepers and crap on the South Branch of the Au Sable. I sent it to Loomis and they matched a tip with it and sent it to me and my friend re-did it. It's like a mm longer than the original. :)

One of the Sage's, the 5wt, if I remember correctly, had the tip smashed one morning on the North Branch...Mr Lazy here had bad shocks in the hatch on my Jeep...If it was cold the darn thing would fall and rest on my back...You would think I would of taken care of it since I was playing hockey all winter then and it was a pain!

We were about to do a grand hike on the river. I had been up earlier than my friend and it was warm and the hatch stayed up...A cold front had come through the night before. I was talking to my friend as I was attaching the reel to the butt section, and turned to see the hatch heading south! The rod sock was hanging out below the door.

I never looked at it. Just pushed the butt section back in and I could feel the tip was in a few pieces...I almost cried. To compound things I had left my other rods back at the room and had to drive and get one...Told my friend I'd get back and catch up with him downriver.

Sage replaced that blank as well.

Spence

WbranchMay 12th, 2015, 7:40 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

On my PC if I click on the picture it takes me to the source (Photobucket) and then if you click on the picture it will enlarge twice.
TKBMay 14th, 2015, 12:15 am
Pennsylvania

Getting ready to take out my Sage 9' 5 Weight LL for a long weekend. I have enjoyed that rod longer than my kids.....
Page:12345

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.