Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > what weight is this rod?

TyroFebruary 3rd, 2014, 2:07 pm
illinois

My inherited Wright McGill "Granger" 9' flyrod has no wieght designation that I could find. It was manufactured in 1961. Could anyone tell me what flyling weight I should be using with this rod?

Thanks, all
Kschaefer3February 3rd, 2014, 2:17 pm
St. Paul, MN

Is there a model number on it? I am not familiar with vintage rods, but assume they were manufactured in multiple line weights as well.
TyroFebruary 3rd, 2014, 4:25 pm
illinois

Its model # is 6590
StokesFebruary 3rd, 2014, 7:38 pm
Columbia county,NY

Thought in the last thread you posted about this rod you determined it was a 4-5wt?
TyroFebruary 3rd, 2014, 8:18 pm
illinois

The Eagle rep I talked to told me this is what he thought (he sounded hesitant), but I just wanted to see if anyone out there might have a more positive take on it before I rig up.
EntomanFebruary 3rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Northern CA & ID

Tyro -

I remember that thread too.

4 or 5 wt? I don't know how that was arrived at by the rep, but at its zenith in the late '70's even the finest fiberglass was incapable of workable 4/5 tapers that long. This rod was built during that material's relative infancy. I would be surprised if it took a line lighter than 7.

Most of the early glass rods were either quite mushy in the tip or overly stiff. All of them were quite heavy and clumsy by today's standards. If your goal is still learning how to fly fish, I'd forget buying a reel and line to match it. Unless you have sentimental reasons, you'd be better off spending the same money on a starter outfit instead. Even cheap ones sold by Cortland, L.L. Bean and others will make learning easier, faster and much less frustrating.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TyroFebruary 4th, 2014, 10:31 am
illinois

Thanks, Gentlemen

It's great to be able to tap into such a wealth of experience and knowledge. I'm beginning to understand what a special world I entering. I'm taking your advice and looking at 5 wt rods in the $80-100 price range. Any advice as to make/ model would, of course, be greatly appreciated!~

Thanks, again
Kschaefer3February 4th, 2014, 10:40 am
St. Paul, MN

If you are trying to keep that classic feel, you could get an Eagle Claw Featherlight. It is a fiberglass rod, and is only $40. I had a shop owner tell me the other day that he prefers them to the Redington Butter Stick, which retails for $250. I am considering getting a 6' 6", 3 or 4 wt for small stream dry fly fishing. Hope this helps!
RogueratFebruary 5th, 2014, 4:59 pm
I saw an Eagle Claw Featherlight 3/4 wt at WallyWorld the other day, almost bought it on impulse. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure it was worth even the $ 25.00 they had on it. Maybe I'll go back and see if it's still there...another rod couldn't hurt!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him..'
Kschaefer3February 5th, 2014, 5:22 pm
St. Paul, MN

I was surprised when I heard it was good. I wasn't even expecting decent. For that price, it's worth the risk. The 6'6" 3/4 is what I would get.
OldredbarnFebruary 6th, 2014, 10:46 am
Novi, MI

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61537

Tyro,

I hope this link works for you. I posted a question on this Classic Fly Rod forum about a cane rod I own that is similar to the one you are discussing here.

This is my posted question...At the link you can see some of the responses from some of the guys there that are historians when it comes to classic rods. Hope this helps.

I have a three piece 9' Challenger rod. The tube has the following: Old Faithful Rod Co 4th & Grant Denver Colorado. The only marking on the rod is the word Challenger written in cursive. The rod has two tip sections and is in nearly new condition.

I have found some info that "the rods were actually seconds that were produced by Wright & McGill".

It appears to have an aluminum reel seat. The only time I've ever casted it was in a gym where some of us from a fishing club tried to determine what weight it might be...We think a 7wt...The model number is C-0095.

I obtained the rod back in the late 90's. My wife and I ran an insurance agency. A customer came in to make a payment and the sectretary was helping another client. I took this person back in to my office to use my computer to print her a receipt. She left.

A while later I received a call from her and she said that she had seen a print in my office with some flies in it. She had said nothing, at the time, about the print etc. She said that a friend of her husband had just purchased a new home and found a rod in the attic and they were wondering if I could find some info about it...

Someone at my club put me in contact with someone that might know and he told me he thought that Wright & McGill may have had something to do with the rod...He said that a great many were made, they were ok rods, and it was probably worth then about $200.00. I told the owner this and he just stood there in my office...I finally asked him if there wasn't something else and he asked me what I'd give him for it...I offered $50 and he sold me the rod.

I'd appreciate any info...I have searched a bit here and there is some info...

Anyway! Thanks.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanFebruary 6th, 2014, 2:50 pm
Northern CA & ID

Kyle - Tyro is just taking up the sport and was thinking about outfitting this rod with a new line and reel to use for learning how to cast. Preferring a feel of any type is a ways down the road for him. He should spend his money on a balanced starter outfit of modern graphite design, IMO.

Spence - The rod in question is an early glass rod, not bamboo. Had me going as well until this was pointed out in the other thread.

Sorry for the confusion, Tyro. We see the word "Granger" and "old" put together and think bamboo. Similarly with angling experience. When guys ask about classic rods, we usually assume they are experienced unless stated otherwise.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnFebruary 8th, 2014, 5:50 pm
Novi, MI

Oh I see...Lets call that old-fart Spence "experienced" as opposed to flat out calling it as it is...Just flat out "old"...:) You are a wordsmith Kurt! :) and a gentleman. Thanks!

Instead of waving the cane, I'll be using a cane to get about soon enough...If you would be so kind as to pack me a little basket lunch, bring a bottle of Pinot Gri, and set me in the rocking chair next to the stream...I'd be much abliged.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanFebruary 9th, 2014, 5:49 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! We aren't old - just a little confused at times... :)LOL
TyroFebruary 10th, 2014, 10:57 am
illinois

Thanks for the input, everybody.
I've begun assembling a balanced outfit as suggested and have been watching Orvis, Joan Wulff and Lefty Freh casting videos in advance of taking a week long Fly fishing course with Larry Culpepper later this spring. Who knew what an interesting and consuming world I'd be stepping into!
CrepuscularFebruary 10th, 2014, 11:15 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Who knew what an interesting and consuming world I'd be stepping into!

Ha! :)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.