Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New to TroutNut

SpankyOctober 29th, 2021, 3:16 am
Posts: 1Guy just stumbled across your site while looking for a new 3 or 4 wt. 7 1/2 or 8 foot rod. I’m retiring in a few months and since I was a young guy I’ve been telling myself I was going to take fly fishing more seriously and refine my skills and go at it and dedicate more time to it. Admittedly I’m a hack at it and never really got behind some of the science and skills that make one a true fly fisherman. I’m a troutnut for sure. Primarily on the spinning side. Was introduced to trout fishing when I was a young kid and I have never missed a beat to get out and go. Spend a lot of hours at it during the course of a year. It is now time to set my other gear aside and do what I’ve been telling myself for years that retirement and fly fishing will go hand in hand. I’m not totally clueless as I do flyfish but it’s now time to pull it together. My trout fishing consists of about 75% stocked fish and 25% native/wild trout. Retirement will boost my time at native and wild trout. I’ll have things I need to accomplish at home during retirement but will have more time to chase trout around.
PartsmanOctober 29th, 2021, 5:38 pm
bancroft michigan

Spanky, congrats on your retirement! Im kind of retired myself, as a older man I suggest not wasting time and get right to it. It would help to know the rivers you fish and what you enjoy about fly fishing, aka dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers. Me personally I love all the above techniques. No one rod will do everything well. Also your budget is another important consideration. There are some really cool 81/2 ft. 4 wts. On the market right now, graphene infused by Douglas rods, and Taylor fly fishing. Also sage, Scott, and gloomis have great made in the USA rods. I would suggest checking out the North American flyfishing forum for some really up to date info on rods. What ever you decide, enjoy this time of your life, you earned it.
Mike
WbranchOctober 31st, 2021, 3:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spanky,

Glad to see you found Troutnut. Since you want to get more involved in fly fishing I want you to know that you don't need to spend a ton of money to get some good gear. If you do well and enjoy fly fishing then if you want you can go for a better outfit. There are quite a few combination outfits with a 4 piece rod, reel, fly line, and in some cases a leader and a few flies for under $200. Look at the Orvis "Encounter" outfit. Also look at combo outfits at Cabela's and Badss Pro.

There are many mid priced rods for $200 - $400 and then you get into the high end rods with all the latest and greatest technology for $500 - $900. You can spend $40 on a fly reel or you can spend $400 on a fly reel. If you are catching trout up to 20" you can do really well with lesser priced click and pawl reel. I can catch pretty much any trout I catch with my $1200 outfit with a $200 outfit. I'll just enjoy the experience more with the high end outfit.

If you have any questions you can ask them here on the forum or you can send me a private message. I've been fly fishing for sixty years and have answers, and stream experience, with most any question.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfNovember 1st, 2021, 5:49 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome to Troutnut! As you have already seen, the forum has some very friendly guys posting. We're glad to help with anything we can. The thing that has helped my fishing the most has been casting lessons with a good teacher. My instructor was able to watch my casting closely and coach me on making better casts. I've gone back many times for spring tune ups.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CharlietrouFebruary 16th, 2022, 3:21 am
Posts: 1Hello Everyone! I am also new and just accidentally stumbled to your website while looking for different fly fishing forums. Nowadays, I am living a retired life. Now, fly fishing has suddenly interested me. It seems like a very peaceful activity to me. Hopefully, in this discussion forum, I would meet some like-minded individuals.
MartinlfFebruary 20th, 2022, 9:01 am
Palmyra PA

I believe you will. Welcome!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.