Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New tech.

Chris_3gJuly 29th, 2008, 9:03 am
Posts: 59I'm not affiliated with this company, but this looks like it could be a future alternative to purchasing waterproof cameras, and as one who has dropped his camera in the drink a couple of times, I am eager to learn more. I would imagine that there might be some issues due to the moving parts associated with camera lenses (especially repeatedly moving parts which may wear out the coating?), so I naturally remain skeptical, but it does look promising for the future.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website: Website. There is a video and some other info thrown around in there.

Chris.
McjamesJuly 29th, 2008, 9:55 am
Cortland Manor, NY

I dropped my wife's digital into the stream-- twice. The first time it dried out OK, but the second time did it in. So I had to replace it with an upgrade, which took a BIG bite out of the 'fishing stuff' budget.
I am haunted by waters
TroutnutJuly 29th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Awesome!!

I've been using waterproof digital cameras when I go fishing for a couple years now, but Pentax and Olympus are the only real options, and both of their waterproof models are mediocre cameras in terms of image quality and features. I would love to be able to get a high-end compact camera with pro features and still have it fully waterproofed. It would dramatically improve the pictures I take on routine fishing trips when I can't tote my DSLR with me everywhere.

It would also transform what can be done with underwater video for research applications. I'm shooting stereo high-definition video of juvenile Chinook salmon, and it's great but the weight of 2 cameras and housings and the mount is 30+ pounds. Take out the housings and you'd cut that down tremendously. I'm a bit skeptical that electronics could survive for an hour or more under all but the clearest river water, because little silt and other drift particles would build up inside and would have to start getting in the way of some mechanical components, buttons and such.

So I'll have to see it to believe it... but it sounds promising!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TrtklrJuly 29th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned
Michigan

I wanted a camera that was waterproof until the guy at best buy told me to just get the 4 yr warranty and your covered. The beautiful thing about it he told me was in 3 1/2 years they're not going to make that model anymore and I would get credit for a new better camera. I investigated this warranty and talked to different salespeople(since salespeople lie, I'm in sales) at different stores. They all made the same claim. 6 weeks after having my camera I went swimming. took it back they new it was water damage even after I let it dry out-they told me to go get a new one. Best of all since it was under manufacturers warranty it did not affect my 4 yr at all. so in about 3yrs I'll go swimming again.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.