Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > January Caddis

DayTripper has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.8X larger)
DayTripperJanuary 13th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Northern MI

We had a warm up over the weekend here in northern Michigan so I got out of the house and fished a local stream. Stumbled across this caddis adult and was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what it might be. Body length from head to the rear wingtip is 11mm. It was the only one I saw, walking around on the snow right at the water's edge. Any ideas? Thanks!
TaxonJanuary 13th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Alex-

My guess would be Frenesia missa, but Dave will know for sure.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DayTripperJanuary 13th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Northern MI

Gracias!
CrenoJanuary 13th, 2014, 10:23 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Yup - nice pics - I think it is Frenesia - pretty dark and a little small. You cannot determine species without looking at its private parts At that size and location I was hoping for something like Chilostigma - so far found during winter in a few very small spring habitats exposed in winter because they are warm enough to melt the snow above. Chilostigma should be also wandering on the snow around the spring opening. Not much else known about them and who knows what you might find really unusual in the winter because no one really collects then. Did you keep it?
DayTripperJanuary 13th, 2014, 10:55 pm
Northern MI

Yeah, it died last night, but I've still got it sitting on my fly tying bench under a vial.
PaulRobertsJanuary 13th, 2014, 11:26 pm
Colorado

Good call Roger, and great response Dave!

Yes, and nice images DT.

Very cool.
CrenoJanuary 14th, 2014, 1:14 am
Grants Pass, OR

If ya send it to me I will put a species on it. It's a female but I should be able to separate them cuz it looks in good condition. We will see how good Roger did with his key by geography :-) He is probably right on this one because there are alot of reported records for this genus and, so far, missa is the only one reported this far west. I will send address by PM. If it is dry, just put in tissue and into small vial. Then in something to mail so vial does not get crushed. Parts may come off a dry specimen but should still be able to identify.
CrepuscularJanuary 14th, 2014, 9:15 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Cool to see some bugs! Interesting caddis for sure.
LastchanceJanuary 14th, 2014, 9:32 am
Portage, PA

That makes me eager for the good bugs to come. It won't be long.
CrenoJanuary 22nd, 2014, 11:17 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Daytripper - your critter arrived in fine shape and is a female Frenesia missa. Roger rules!
creno
TaxonJanuary 23rd, 2014, 12:46 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Dave-

That's kind of you to say, but "you da man".

Incidentally, apart from my belief that Frenesia difficilis has yet to be identified in MI, my belief was also that the reported length (11 mm.) was too short for F. difficilis, and just right for F. missa.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
DayTripperJanuary 23rd, 2014, 8:29 am
Northern MI

I love this place, thanks to all for your help identifying this one. As far as northern MI fly fishing hatch charts are concerned, this bug doesn't exist. Kind of cool to know these are possibly out there in the winter.
PaulRobertsJanuary 23rd, 2014, 9:01 pm
Colorado

WTG Roger, and Dave.

DT, as far as the trout are concerned, it may not exist either, due to time of year, habitat, and habits. But ... there may be places and times. Look up Frenesia and see what is said about them. It can pay to know what to be looking for.
TaxonJanuary 23rd, 2014, 9:44 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Alex-

Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine has a comprehensive writeup on genus Frenesia, in which Gary indicates "they survive into the winter and are commonly seen on snowdrifts even in January."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
DayTripperJanuary 24th, 2014, 9:14 am
Northern MI

WTG Roger, and Dave.

DT, as far as the trout are concerned, it may not exist either, due to time of year, habitat, and habits. But ... there may be places and times. Look up Frenesia and see what is said about them. It can pay to know what to be looking for.

True, but there is always hope...

I'll have to pull Caddisflies back off the shelf.
PaulRobertsJanuary 24th, 2014, 4:51 pm
Colorado

Yes!

"Hope springs eternal" or maybe "Hope brings eternal spring?" :)

GutcutterJanuary 26th, 2014, 11:22 am
Pennsylvania

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
-Rogers Hornsby

I think this puts it into perspective for flyfishermen as well as ball players...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
LastchanceJanuary 26th, 2014, 3:46 pm
Portage, PA

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
-Rogers Hornsby

I think this puts it into perspective for flyfishermen as well as ball players...

Antonio, I agree with Rogers, but I couldn't wait for Spring. I fished Bobs Creek today for about 90 minutes in a blizzard and 13 degrees. I need to catch a trout for January and time is running out. Well, the creek was nearly frozen shut except for a small trough down the middle. My entire leader turned into an ice rope and I couldn't tell if I had a take or not. I guess I don't really need to tell you I caught no fish. It was a pretty scene though.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.