Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > re - a couple bugs........

Creno has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
Portion of probable Apatania wings
Portion of probable Apatania wings
CrenoMay 12th, 2008, 11:07 am
Grants Pass, OR

Folks: I have attached a revised portion of the caddis photo Daytripper provided. The wings are actually in pretty good position for figuring out what the critter is. The really nice adult caddis photos which are typical of this site usually show a critter sitting perfectly naturally on a thumb/stick/rock. However such photos almost never provide a view of the hindwing and even the forewing venation is usually folded and blurred by the hairs.

The hindwing of Daytripper's photo shows this is not a brachycentrid as brachycentrid hindwing venation usually is missing veins and cells. The combination of location, general body shape and color, the wing shape, open hindwing discoidal cell and closed hindwing thyridial cell pretty much leave us only with Apatania. One character that would be most useful would be slightly better resolution of head. Presence of ocelli would leave out the brachycentrids as well but the photo doesn't quite have the resolution necessary to be sure if ocelli are present.

I am not aware of an Apatania "key" either although I believe only A.incerta and A. nigra occur in eastern NA and both are liklely to occur in the Adirondacks although A.nigra is rare that far south. In any case it would likely require examination of the hind parts which are fairly different between the two species. I believe I have A.nigra adults so I could prepare wings to see if there is any difference between the two if you want.

GONZOMay 12th, 2008, 11:35 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks very much for the annotated enlargement, Dave. I hereby rescind my brachycentrid speculation and congratulate Roger for a nice call. Now, about that mayfly....
DayTripperMay 12th, 2008, 12:14 pm
Northern MI

Creno & Gonzo,

I've got the bigger versions of the pics I provided, plus a couple other shots I took on file. If you're interested in seeing them, let me know and I'll dig them up.
GONZOMay 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Yes, please. The caddisfly ID seems pretty well resolved, but I'd be curious to see what else might be revealed in other photos of the mayfly.
DayTripperMay 12th, 2008, 1:27 pm
Northern MI

I had several angles on the caddis fly, only the one on the BWO, however one of the pother pics from the same angle is shows a little better detail.

If you go to the page below, you'll see the original pic, plus one underneath. Just click the pics to enlarge them, then you can click the pic again to zoom in

http://daytripperblog.com/fish-food/looking-for-latin/
GONZOMay 12th, 2008, 2:03 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks, Alex. The enlargement on your site did seem to solve one puzzle--the hindwing on the near side appears to be torn off.
DayTripperMay 12th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Northern MI

Yeah I noticed that too. Funny thing is, I didn't tear it off. I wonder what happened to it?
GONZOMay 12th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Stuff happens. It might have been an emergence problem.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.