Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Who're these guys??, Page 2

CrepuscularNovember 11th, 2013, 9:23 am
Boiling Springs, PA

There was a decade when it seemed that as soon as I crossed over the Crawford County line where Grayling is located a very large low pressure center would camp out over head and my fishing week's weather would get down right snarly. Gray clouds, wind, rain, and ocassionaly very cold and it would snow.

I wish you would have informed me of this before I took you over Rupp Mountain that day in April. This explains our slight issues getting back. ;)
OldredbarnNovember 11th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Novi, MI

LOL At least you get the river to yourself. Yes?

This was true...I kind of got a kick out of the boys at breakfast at Gates' watching the temperature guage just outside the window of the dining room...The "gentlemen" of the "gentleman's sport" would go directly from breakfast, back to their rooms, and their Scotch and Waters...:) I would trudge out knowing eventually I'd see Baetis or my lovely invaria's. :)

That will be fun, Spence. I picture it being something like Captain Dan coming to terms with his God in "Forest Gump".

Let's hope it doesn't kill us! :)

I wish you would have informed me of this before I took you over Rupp Mountain that day in April. This explains our slight issues getting back. ;)

Yeah...Well...About that Eric...Them River gods seem intent on trying my Will. Someone said, "What doesn't kill you, makes you strong!" I will say, I wouldn't of missed it for the world, and I did finally listen to you, after that last thunder clap, when you said, "Spence. I think we need to make our way back to the other side of the river and the safety of the truck"...:)

We just made it and thankfully we jumped in to the truck with the beers...Though now that we know each other, maybe both trucks had beer in them. ;) That is the more likely truth, eh?!

I also will never forget that monster tree leaning over the road and you telling me not to touch or even breath on it or we may be sleeping in the vehicles. You had barely an inch-and-a-half clearence. The only things we were missing on this adventure were those other two crazy puppies Tony and Bruce...If Tony had been there with those hot fish we would still be standing there, and we may have lost Bruce as he floated downstream and around the bend. :)

What a night!

Those Pennsylvania Boys, at the drop of a hat, think nothing of a 200 mile drive for rising fish..."Over the mountain and through the woods" if those Browns are eating Hennys or Green Drakes!!! Yahoo! Road trip! I not only drove from Detroit, I followed Tony to State College, followed him over the mountain, on back roads, in the dark, to Carlisle...Then you and I went back north for one evening of fishing! Then back south so Spence could be served some humble-pie on the Letort. "What doesn't kill you, makes you strong!" :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceNovember 11th, 2013, 6:12 pm
Portage, PA

Spence I can't wait to fish and swim once again with all of yuse guys. Yuns is great people.

PS. I wasn't swimming I was washing my flies.That's the PA method.
PaulRobertsNovember 11th, 2013, 6:13 pm
Colorado

Good stuff, Spence.

PS. I wasn't swimming I was washing my flies.That's the PA method.

All of 'em! That's efficient.
OldredbarnNovember 11th, 2013, 11:26 pm
Novi, MI

Paul,

I once watched as Bruce took a dunk in the Little J. He did it with such panache. He looked like a Pied-billed Grebe...Under he went and "pop" right back up he came. He told me, "If you haven't fallen in the Little J, you aren't fishing the Little J properly." :) He just kept on casting!

One day I'll re-tell the story of when Bruce and Tony introduced me to Sheetz and Bruce's love of their hot dogs smothered in cheese and mayo...I gained weight just watching him eat them! Actually I could barely watch.

Or maybe the night we spent walking the Saturday night streets of State College and Tony insulted Siri on his iPhone...Bruce and I had tears running down our cheeks...Ole Siri had Tony nearly speechless.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularNovember 12th, 2013, 6:55 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I don't want to spread rumors and I'm probably generating some really bad karma here but, someone should ask Bruce how clean his flies are today...
Feathers5November 12th, 2013, 10:09 am
Kschaefer3November 12th, 2013, 10:38 am
St. Paul, MN

I don't know how the weather is out East, but it's getting a little cool to be swimming cleaning flies outside in my area. Don't you know they make indoor pools sinks, Bruce?
LastchanceNovember 14th, 2013, 12:11 pm
Portage, PA

I don't know how the weather is out East, but it's getting a little cool to be swimming cleaning flies outside in my area. Don't you know they make indoor pools sinks, Bruce?

Ha! I figured I was already standing in water so why wait?
Kschaefer3November 14th, 2013, 2:04 pm
St. Paul, MN

Ha! I figured I was already standing in water so why wait?

Efficient. I like it!
PaulRobertsNovember 14th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Colorado

You guys are wonderful. Thanks for cheering me up.

Speaking of dunks and needing cheering up... I've explored my new home river, the Pasig River, a few times lately, once just to observe (always worthwhile) and twice with a rod. The river literally boils with fish. The majority are Plecostomas (armored suckers, common in aquariums) and there are literally thousands of them, lolling to the surface to gulp air. Two predatory species I hoped to pursue, haruan (snakehead) and knifefish (Chitala), also gulp air on occasion and I spotted some on my reconnaissance, including one big beautiful silver sided knife; I could see his tail spots clearly. I started to daydream about those bright flashy sided predacious knifes, that can break 5kg (10lbs). I started to read about them their habitat needs, feeding behavior and general habits. Then I fished the river.

It is the color coffee with cream in it, but grayer, and it stinks like urine and feces. I could not tell initially whether this was due to the fact that the near poverty to poverty stricken residents in this densely populated area relieve themselves at any nook or cranny in the surrounding cityscape or if it was the river itself. Likely it was both. The nice thing about a river is that it will take your leavings away.

I found my way down the concrete lined river and as I cast a black-backed pearl twister jig I began to notice what was in the water. I began to count the swollen baby diapers drifting past. I counted 6 in the 30 minutes I stayed. Then a small foot square board floated by with a pile of human excrement on it. A joke? Then I saw the little plastic bags full of something dark floating by. People probably do their business in/on something then send it down the river, and … away.

Local anglers (some sport but mostly hungry) stopped to watch and were interested in my lure and tackle. “Automatica” some would say, referring to my shiny spinning reel. Many anglers fish with a length of line attached to a broken stick, and a float. It wasn’t long before someone gave me the “I’m hungry” sign, tapping the stomach and then bringing hand to mouth. I purposely had not brought any cash with me, since I’d be “down by the river”, didn’t need any and didn’t want to go through a robbery attempt, more than once. I’m often begged at when on the streets and my family handles it by quickly assessing the level of need and preferring to buy a little food for the person, esp children. Some are so obviously in trouble we’ve given money at times. This begging fisherman looked healthy and I didn’t have cash anyway, so I gestured so, then left.

I went down to the river once more to give it another go, lured by thoughts of those big flashy knifes, and a dark overcast as knifes are crepuscular and nocturnal feeders. The stench and river offerings had me standing back and just watching until I finally decided to steel myself and make a few casts. Soon a young street kid joined me, trying to chat me up, while expertly tossing his float from a broken stick. He had a sweet smile, truly friendly and curious, and was interested in my lure. As soon as I showed him he said, “Give me?” I didn’t want to give any lures, even though this is standard etiquette just about everywhere, only bc I didn’t have many that fit the conditions of this river. But I gave him one. He then gave me the “I’m hungry” sign. He probably was, but he didn’t look all that wanting beyond his filthy body and clothes. It wasn’t long before he snagged his jig and I decided to go before he asked for another. As I walked off along the concrete wall I looked back and he was stripped to his underwear. He gave me that winning smile, then he jumped in. His lure was deep enough he had to dive completely several times to free it.

I don’t think I’ll go back. Not sure yet -how much of a die-hard I really am. I can spend entire days waist deep in swamps, dismember elk, administer coup de grace to wounded rabbits, clean up my wife’s vomit, see someone through on their deathbed, but there are places and things when you have to question the sanity of the situation. At what point do you turn and run?
EntomanNovember 14th, 2013, 7:24 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yeah, I'd be worried about acquiring a water borne infection for which we have no immunity as the locals may have. No wading with any scrapes or cuts for me, Paul, anywhere near that water. Don't know how much good it would do, but I'd carry antiseptic wipes and antimicrobial salves at all times when venturing forth.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnNovember 14th, 2013, 9:59 pm
Novi, MI

Paul,

I had a Poli-Sci prof back in the 70's who was an interesting guy...He liked to travel and while in India (he was there doing some research on the Indian and Chinese scrum)he'd walk or take the crowded train cars etc. He told me a story of walking into a village and the head guy comes out to greet him. The crap is literally running down my profs leg and the guy offers him oranges as part of his greeting.

There was a woman who wanted to go out in the field with him and she only made it as far as the first village and the women tossing dung against the wall of the hut for fuel.

This prof liked to make an analogy about the toilet bowl mentality of us humans...If we flush it we no longer have to think about it. The amount of toxic waste we dump and have dumped in our rivers is beyond believe...and we need that water to survive! There are just too many of us.

This must be a tad tough for you. Colorado mountain streams to what you have described to us. You be careful, sir! Sounds a little rough over there.

My nephew was over there somewhere last year and was robbed.

EntomanNovember 15th, 2013, 1:26 am
Northern CA & ID

You guys are wonderful. Thanks for cheering me up.

Jeez Paul, glad that Spence & I could help out with our last two posts! :)lol
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsNovember 15th, 2013, 2:05 am
Colorado

I take that back! :)
CrepuscularNovember 15th, 2013, 11:23 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Kurt and Spence, you two a just a ball of fun. Half full kinda guys.

I used to have a knife fish that was >20" in a tank. It was a serious predator. I went through a lot of goldfish. It would be fun to find a spot to fish for those things. I think they like structure.
OldredbarnNovember 15th, 2013, 12:20 pm
Novi, MI

Half full kinda guys.

Half full of you know what! ;)

Spence

PaulRobertsNovember 15th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Colorado

I used to have a knife fish that was >20" in a tank. It was a serious predator. I went through a lot of goldfish. It would be fun to find a spot to fish for those things. I think they like structure.

Yeah they do. They are known to bolt into cover when hooked, slipping or wedging themselves into crevices. From what I could gather of vids watching them feed they appear to be slow stalkers that strike when in close range. Pike-like, but not sure if they ever get into the mood to chase very far. Not counting on it at this point. SO far, the local knife experts fish live bait. Made me think a slow retrieve close to bottom or cover would be important. Anyway, might all be moot. Not sure if I can, or want to, handle the "scenery".
CrepuscularNovember 16th, 2013, 11:25 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Not sure if I can, or want to, handle the "scenery".

I hear ya. You can wait and fish for them in the lakes and canals around the Palm Beach airport the next time you are in FL. Apparently they have a pretty healthy population there.
EntomanDecember 10th, 2013, 6:53 am
Northern CA & ID

Mack,

Anything's possible I suppose but it's highly doubtful. Perhaps you've been looking at too many Cahills?:)

The head capsule appears greatly swelled and expanded/distorted by the adult's eyes developing underneath. Even so, notice it is substantially smaller in width than the notum and even more so the mesonotum? On heptageniids the head capsule is wider or at least sub-equal to the notum which in turn is often wider but at least subequal to the meso. In other words, this critter's front end is tapered the other way.;) That's typically crawler... Something else worth mentioning is the length of thorax compared to the combined length of the head and abdomen. With heptageniids the thorax is usually substantially shorter. Notice this specimen's thorax is not only longer, it is disproportionately so? Exaggerated thorax size is also a common Ephemerelliodea character.

As for the legs - while being tucked against and/or under the body on both sides is not uncommon with dead heptageniid specimens, live ones perched on a rock usually have them splayed (at least on one side). This pose is more typically struck by a crawler. Crawlers can have beefy femora, too. Besides, notice the tibia is tucked against the femur you isolated thus increasing its perceived width? Another clue that doesn't look right around the house is Heptageniid femora are typically longer than this, often approaching the length if the thorax or longer and capable of reaching well down the abdomen (especially with the spidery looking Epeorus).

Oh, and don't forget Paul mentioned it was small trico or Caenis sized. That's awfully tiny for a mature heptageniid.;)

Hope this helps!
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.