or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Taxonomic ( synonym ) question.

BrookymanJune 3rd, 2013, 4:30 pm
Banned
Subject JR synonym.

sample specie complex Maccaffertium vicarium

Currently both rivulicolum & fuscum are listed as JR synonyms of
vicarium. This question is more to the word Junior than anything else.

Does JR mean;

1, a newer variation of the main specie by genetics
2, a smaller size of the main specie
3, a younger specie in time frame developments
4, newer in discovery from the main species "example"

vicarium was found by Walker in 1800's & rivulicolum was found by McD in the 1920's. Or does Jr mean something else.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
TaxonJune 3rd, 2013, 5:11 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack,

Does JR mean;

1, a newer variation of the main specie by genetics
2, a smaller size of the main specie
3, a younger specie in time frame developments
4, newer in discovery from the main species "example"

It doesn't really mean any of the above. ITIS lists both (Stenonema fuscum and Stenonema rivulicolum) as being an "invalid - junior synonym" of Maccaffertium vicarium. Although this is true, one really needs to access Mayfly Species List - North America, which lists the junior synonyms as such:

Maccaffertium vicarium (Walker), 1853 [CAN:FN,NE,NW;USA:NE,SE]
Baetis tessellata Walker, 1853 (syn.)
Baetis vicaria Walker, 1853 (orig.)
Ecdyonurus fusca (Clemens), 1913 (syn.spell)
Ecdyonurus fuscum (Clemens), 1913 (syn.)
Ecdyonurus fuscus (Clemens), 1913 (syn.spell)
Ecdyonurus rivulicolus McDunnough, 1933 (syn.)
Ecdyonurus vicarius (Walker), 1853 (comb.)
Ecdyurus vicarius (Walker), 1853 (comb.)
Heptagenia fusca Clemens, 1913 (syn.)
Heptagenia vicaria (Walker), 1853 (comb.)
Stenonema fuscum (Clemens), 1913 (syn.)
Stenonema rivulicolum (McDunnough), 1933 (syn.)
Stenonema tessellata (Walker), 1853 (syn.)
Stenonema vicarium (Walker), 1853 (comb.)

The junior synonym (abbreviations) are defined as such:

All subordinate species name equivalents are followed by some parenthetical indicator of the basis for their subordination. In addition, for those few species that are of dubious status (unable to be refuted or substantiated at this time), the species name is followed by (dub.), see below. Abbreviations used in parentheses accompanying names are defined as follows:

(comb.)
combination: a name recombined with a generic name different from the original;

(dub.)
nomen dubium: a name that is of dubious status in that it cannot presently be determined what the species named as such actually is; although all nomina dubia have a generic name associated with them, keep in mind that some of them cannot actually be placed to any genus with confidence due to the lack, or loss, of original material on which the names were based;

(hom.)
homonym: the name (as the unique combination of genus and species names) is or becomes the same as one used for another species at an earlier time; the subordinate homonym, therefore, had to be replaced with a new name, see (renam.), below; the species name that has priority is also indicated within the parentheses along with (hom.);

(id.)
misidentification: another valid species (not a subordinate name) with which the species has incorrectly been associated in the past; although historical misidentifiactions are not generally cited in the Species List, in the one instance where a North American species has traditionally been cited by the name of another valid species now known not to occur in North America, the misidentification is noted so that the species may be tracked;

(orig.)
original: the original name, including the original name in its correct form if it has been changed from an incorrectly formed name;

(renam.)
renamed: a new name given because the original or recombination of the original is a secondary homonym (the same as that which has been given to another species previously); in one instance, the new name was unnecessary and is indicated as (invalid renam.);

(spell.)
spelling: a misspelled or incorrect form of the name;

(stat.)
status: represents a change from species to subspecies status within the same species;

(syn.)
synonym: another name that was proposed independently for the same species. Normally, the earliest published name takes priority.

Hope this helps.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanJune 3rd, 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned
Hi Roger

Yes this is very helpful. So when I see this symbol ( n. syn ) that would represent a new synonym ???

So at this time there is only vicarium as a valid specie which includes
both fuscum & rivulicolum. When were the jr synonyms reduced or removed ???

Bednarik & Mccafferty 1979 placed them as both juniors to vicarium.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
TaxonJune 4th, 2013, 1:15 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack,

Please be advised that there is no such word as specie. The word is species, which is both singular and plural. As to (n. syn), I have no idea what that would mean. Where are you seeing it? If it is present in Biosystematic Revision of the Genus Stenonema (Ephemeroptera : Heptageniidae), A. F. Bednarik, W. Patrick McCafferty, 1979, you would have to send me a copy of the PDF so I can peruse it, as I am not in possession the paper.
Roger Rohrbeck
BrookymanJune 4th, 2013, 3:43 am
Banned
Thank you for that. Yes it is in that document under vicarium on page 43 in the new synonym list entering that description.

it reads---- Lewis 74b: 24 (n.syn.)

here is a copy link Roger.

http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_b/pubbednarika1979p1.pdf

Mack.
TaxonJune 4th, 2013, 4:46 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack-

Thanks for the link. Yes, I see it on page 43. And in that context, (n.syn.) may well mean "new synonym" as you surmised, but I just don't know.
Roger Rohrbeck
BrookymanJune 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm
Banned
It seems to make sense. Lewis had just rejected Burks synonym of rivulicolum to vicarium four years earlier and now placed it under fuscum based on Burks typo on the genital illustration. The vicarium illustration was actually the one for fuscum and same in reverse.

Your welcome Roger. Almost all the documents we would use can be found at this website Jeff actually showed it to me. You can save a print any of them thats how I got my sum 200 manuals I have printed.

http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/mfbib.php

Mack.
TaxonJune 4th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Thanks, Mack. Apparently, after Dr. Michael D. Hubbard passed on in 2012, the site was rehosted under another address. I believe it may have automatically forwarded to the new address for a period of time, but I apparently failed to update the links to it from my site, so once it ceased automatically forwarding, my links were toast. However, I have now updated my links to it.
Roger Rohrbeck
BrookymanJune 4th, 2013, 4:54 pm
Banned
Your welcome Roger. Let me know what you find on that (acronym.) Now my son and I are going collecting for my rearing tank.

Mack.
CrenoJune 4th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Grants Pass, OR

(n. syn.) does indeed stand for "new synonym". It is usually used by the author who has decided a species is a synonym to point the author's conclusion.

In more recent literature you may see n.obj.syn. or n.sub.syn. for new objective synonym and new objective synonym. I will let Roger explain those too ya :-). A great book for entomological definitions is the Torre-Bueno glossary (http://bugguide.net/node/view/726501).

Roger - I really liked your terminology list. I had not seen it compiled liked that before. Did you do that yourself? great job!

TaxonJune 4th, 2013, 6:22 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Dave,

Ha, don't I wish I were that knowledgeable. :-) See Mayfly Central's Abbreviations Defined page from which they were copied/pasted into my previous post.
Roger Rohrbeck
BrookymanJune 5th, 2013, 12:05 am
Banned
Thanks Dave it made sense. I have seen the other two you mentioned.

Roger I thought that list look just like mayfly centeral's. I only knew that
by looking at the list you made in this post and then going there.

We collected many mediopunctatum & rubromaculatum for the rearing tank tonight.

Mack.
EntomanJune 6th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Ah! A long over due discussion...

In these days of rapid taxonomic development, an understanding of these terms is important if we are to make any sense out of it.

Thanks for the posts, guys. Especially Taxon for the excellent explanations!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanJune 6th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Banned
Your back Kurt welcome home :-)

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.