Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What are we seeing in the East?

AdirmanApril 7th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Monticello, NY

Guys;

Haven't been able to get out even once yet in the Catskills! just wondering if anyones been out here yet and what they're seeing on the water. Couple of guys have told me they're seeing predominantly midges,black stones and some small olives but beyond that, havent heard anything else yet. Any Hendricksons been spotted?

Jmd123April 7th, 2013, 2:17 pm
Oscoda, MI

We're still pretty frozen up here in northern lower MI. Steelheaders are out in force but there aren't even many fish in yet. Even small bodies of standing water still have ice cover! Walking along the lower Au Sable all I've seen is a few random midges. I haven't even been near a trout stream since October, but I would guess we're a good while before Hennie season. Which perhaps is good, maybe they'll be in full swing once our opener is here on the 27th...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RogueratApril 8th, 2013, 10:09 am
SW Lower Michigan: I got out for the first time last Friday, upper Rogue and near-perfect conditions considering the time of year- air temp 56* by 3 pm, partly cloudy, water level steady and clear @ 45*. Little Black Stoneflies (sz 16's) were falling and we had some really good fishing.

Sunday we waited until 4:00 pm when partial sun was forecast, zilch on any insects other than some scattered midges(?) we guessed a sz 22 or so, grey with an orange/red egg-sac on their butts.
We've got heavy rain for the next 4 days, 80-100% every day and 2+ inches by the time it ends. I'll be tying more BWO's and Sulphurs in the meantime.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Jmd123April 8th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Oscoda, MI

Mack, things have thawed out a bit more in the last day or so, and we're geting a nice steady rain right now too. Oscoda does stay a bit colder than the surrounding areas - our flowers are a bit later in spring here than further inland. Look it up on Google Maps!

Jonathon

P.S. Hopefully I'll have a hatch report from the Rifle River within a couple of weeks...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.