Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Thunder Creek flies

DbinmtMarch 5th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Montana

Anybody experienced in tying Thunder Creek flies? Any tips? They look good for salmon smolt imitations, but the book doesn't show any specific salmon smolt patterns.
db
WbranchMarch 5th, 2010, 2:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hey would you please tie me up half a dozen, two each of the rainbow, brown, and brook, #8 would be nice. Pretty flies, takes practice to tie them well. Never saw them for sale anywhere and never actually saw one except for the couple I tried to tie.

Seriously though since your from MT why do you want to imitate salmon smolt patterns? I'm not aware of any fishery in MT that have salmon except maybe some lakes with kokanee.

There is some info on the Fulsher series of flies on pages 12, 42, 178-181 of Joe Bates "Streamer Fly Tying & Fly Fishing." (First edition)

Here are a couple of links of interest;

http://www.chartingnature.com/books.cfm?book=B16829

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/071105fotw.php

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GutcutterMarch 5th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Pennsylvania

i love to tye these.
first wrap the hook with a flash material (i use twisted krystal flash. this is very optional but i like a little flash under the bucktail. leave a lot of room for the head. tie in the bottom color bucktail and then the top color. these are tied in reverse. measure the length of the overall minnow and that you are trying to imitate and leave enough left over to account for a head. use less bucktail than you think you need. whip finish. now restart a red thread at the back part of the future "head", then pull first the top bucktail over and the bottom bucktail under and finish the fly with as few wraps as possible to make a nice transition between the head and body. it is a bit tricky to do this but it makes for a neater head and slimmer profile if you do them both at the same time instead of separate.
i have also tied a bunch of glass minnows for saltwater and have used various synthetics. polar fibre works well.
again - use half of the material that you think you need.
i like to epoxy the head and then when dry, add a stick-on eye before coating with sally hansen polish. VERY thin layer of 5 min epoxy. i use a motorized wheel to rotate the fly so i can tie a bunch at once and then epoxy them at the same time - much less labor intensive that way.
hope this helps.
how do the rest of you tie them or are you all clouser guys?
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
WbranchMarch 5th, 2010, 3:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hey Tony,

Since you tie them I'd like a couple for my display. I can say my friend Mr. Cutter tied them.

"are you all clouser guys?" Clousers For Ever is my motto! I have at least another 150 in another box like this one and 200 more in other boxes.

GutcutterMarch 5th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Pennsylvania

matt
i will put it on my "to do" list. i usually only streamer fish for trout in the fall. they work great for smallies, too.
once i finish up with about a doz each 26 28 30 midges for this spring. i'm just about done spinning up small and large olives, paralepts, male and female hendrickson, QG, march brown, trico and slate drakes. still need to tye the midges plus a few dozen more big and little sulphurs as well as cahills. it's a good thing i usually don't fish the green drakes! then i'm done and can tie you some thunder creeks. i haven't even started my tarpon flies, but i'm pretty well stocked with those already and probably will only tye a dozen or so tarpon bunnies and shrimp.
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
PatcrisciMarch 8th, 2010, 2:42 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

guys, i do like fishing streamers once in a blue moon and my arsenal is rather limited. I only tie/carry/fish a few patterns. Black Nose Dace, Muddler Minnow, The Llama, an olive Matuka and a no name bucktail streamer with a wing of olive, yellow and white bucktail. The Muddler is my first choice when I reach for a baitfish imitation cuz it has been the most productive for me. I carry in size 4 down to 12. Any one else fish streamers and which are your go to patterns?
Pat Crisci
LakesidefliMarch 12th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Love streamers!
Kat @ Lakesideflies
WbranchMarch 13th, 2020, 5:59 am
York & Starlight PA

Lakeside,

Do you love streamers because you catch a lot of big trout or because you are plugging your web site to sell them?
FishingkrisMarch 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Chiang Mai

Streamers are one of my favorite choice of flies also.

Been using this tying guide when doing the Thunder Creek

Regards,
Kristian // FishingKris - Fishing Thermometers Guide
Ashley_69March 26th, 2020, 5:22 pm
delta bc

i have seen some of the best trout there. really nice fish. i am a total trout nut. i am single and in your area boys. call me (604) 940-0655
Ashley out
WbranchMarch 28th, 2020, 7:13 am
York & Starlight PA

Ashley_69 wrote;

i have seen some of the best trout there. really nice fish. i am a total trout nut. i am single and in your area boys. call me (604)
940-0655

What in the world is this post about? Solicitation for trout hanky panky?

FalsiflyMarch 29th, 2020, 4:23 am
Hayward, WI.

What in the world is this post about? Solicitation for trout hanky panky?

Matt, why don't you call and find out then let us all know.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WbranchMarch 31st, 2020, 7:07 am
York & Starlight PA

Since there was no response forthcoming I'm assuming I am correct in my comment about it is likely someone offering something other than fly fishing services.
Tomlove007June 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm
uk

please let me know if you got it, i am very interested in it, too,thanks!
fly fishing box

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.