Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The current status of """Rhithrogena""" ???? in Southern Ontario

Brookyman has attached these 7 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.1X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.4X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.1X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
BrookymanNovember 5th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Banned
OK this was a massive surprise.

I am getting back to dissecting samples that I had left over from late May till August. I would have swore that I saw one Rhithrogena in the early spring just 2 mile from the city. I was sure that It was my imagination, I have never heard of them in Ontario.

Well by chance I was looking at pdf files on the data base
Ephemeroptera Galactica mostly reading the real old stuff like Say, Morgan Clemens and of course Canada's McD..

So I notice Ide 1951 its on Rhithrogena in Southern Ontario. As I read I soon learned that this was unknown and the status was of great interest
to Ide, McD and Clemens. So as I pulled out samples that I thought were just Epeorus species, I found 3 that had 3 tails. I then noticed that there where to separate species of Rhithrogena ???? Is this the case ???

Does anybody know of their current status in Ontario and are the ones in the photos really Rhithrogena ?? I have never seen one till today if in fact they are what I think they are.

Also is this news of any importance before I slide mount them ?????

Mack..
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanNovember 6th, 2012, 1:02 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Hi Mack,

Does anybody know of their current status in Ontario and are the ones in the photos really Rhithrogena ?? I have never seen one till today if in fact they are what I think they are.

Indeed there are Rhithrogena species in Ontario. Unless I miscounted, there are currently 8 species recognized for eastern Canada. From what I can make out in the photos, your specimens sure look to be Rhithrogena. The femur and dorsum markings certainly look right. Can't see enough to help regarding species, but the different development of your specimens points to the possiblity we may be looking at two different ones.

FYI - The following traits are also helpful in identifying Rhithrogena:

a. emarginated head capsule at the anterior margin (the indentation may be slight, but clearly discernible as in fifth photo middle specimen).
b. presence of "thumbs" on the gills, giving the impression of a fat "grillers mitt"
c. apices of the femora with a dorsal process that is projected and narrower than the ventral process.

Unfortunately, ski season is beginning so we may miss out on Gonzo'e help, but perhaps Konchu or Taxon see something I'm missing.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanNovember 6th, 2012, 2:22 am
Banned
Hey Kurt

I saw the bigger one under the microscope and the gills look like Rhithro. One gill fell off on the bigger and darker one. I mounted it and it looks good for Rhithro. It was a middle one like maybe the 5th gill. I will try to get some better shots tomorrow.

But like I said I haven't laid my hands on one before. Tomorrow I will look closer at them. I felt that if they are important someone other than me would be the right person to dissect them.

The small ones are around 6mm and the larger dark one is about 8mm and was ready to POP..

Talk to you tomorrow Mack.

Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanNovember 6th, 2012, 2:38 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

I felt that if they are important someone other than me would be the right person to dissect them.

Rhithrogena nymphs aren't so rare that you should worry about handling those you've already taken, Mack... While eastern species don't have the "superhatch" status of their western counterparts, it is my understanding they are still fairly common.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanNovember 6th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Banned
Thanks Kurt.

I am going to look at the smaller ones today. If I can mount and photograph one of them it might help us ID them at least the smaller ones.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.