Scientific name search:

> > trip to leighton

Report at a Glance

General Regionnorth yorkshire-uk
Specific Locationhealey, north yorkshire
Time of Day10 am till dusk

Details and Discussion

Flyman85May 12th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Posts: 30planned trip to resorvoir for saturday, checked weather and heavy rain and 16mph south easterly winds,fill you,s in sunday morning guys
MartinlfMay 12th, 2011, 11:10 pm
Palmyra PA

Good luck!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flyman85May 13th, 2011, 5:59 am

practice makes perfect,nobodys perfect so why practice!
Flyman85May 15th, 2011, 3:17 am
well didnt arrive untill 11am and after a bit of crack with the fishery managers wife, wendy. was setting up in the carpark and couldnt help but notice the roaring wind and quite a cold one too.
11.30 and made me way down to the dam wall and half way down spotted a bloke playing a fish who had been since 6.30 and asked the usual- lures or naturals? his reply was that he'd fished his way around from the wall to here and that was his first fish-black lure.
got settled at marker pegs and 5 other anglers all strippng lures dotted around but not much doing.
thought i'd try something different so floating line with an orange cheek green epoxy buzzer on the point with a green midge emerger on dropper size 14. just to mention the wave was 12-18 inches!

Flyman85May 15th, 2011, 3:43 am
straight into a fish after a couple of cast on the buzzer(on new rod) about half an hour passed and nothing moving on top so set up the other with intermediate line and a hares ear and pheasant tail nymph.
out that went and got a couple to ptn. getting peckish so stopped for half hour and spotted a guy in the corner who i'd previously met at another fishery and had a bit of crack with him.
picked up the rod again, by this time the wind was getting out of control, it was like the sea, and blowing right into me face so had a walk down to the other end it was like a new world. nothing doing for a while so put on a cats whisker and counting down zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on the drop,another to the net. wind calmed so walked approx 2 mile back to where i started as the majority of fish seem to be up there
back on the floater and picked up a few more then went dead, so moved about a minutes walk back towards carpark and out on the buzzer very slow figure of eight and boom zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im thinking yes as just had that 8lber a fortnite ago checked drag as only on 4lb line nearly onto backing and started to get a bit back on it then off it went again,about 5 or 10 mins passed and got it under the rod tip and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off again. ah i was thinking my arms starting to ache now! anyway after a few heartstopping moments got it to the net. buzzing what a clonker of a fish, personal best was looking in danger. length 25 3/4, depth 8 and 3 3/4 across the back,10lb right on the button.brilliant day and off i went with a big smile on my face after picking up a couple more to a fluorescent lime blob on the way up to carpark.
Flyman85May 16th, 2011, 5:07 pm
look for leighton and west tanfield. the bloke who wrote these must be an idiot because there is the best hatches iv ever seen at tanfield and leighton is lures early season then buzzers and dries for the rest, same at tanfield.
whats a cranefly to you guys? over here its a daddy long legs!
will post some pics as requested by jmd when i get my phone leads sorted.
tight lines all
MantogJuly 29th, 2011, 8:44 am

I wrote those articles you refer to. Calling me an idiot is not necessarily constructive criticism but I will respond anyway! I write what I experience on the day(s), coupled with information fed in from anglers who have fished these venues for several years. You, and your fishing companions, may have had different experiences to myself and my fishing companions at the venues in question. Plus, differnet anglers prefer to use different methods. Such is life!

Bob

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.