Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What's everybody been up to?

David82ndJune 23rd, 2017, 2:46 am
Upstate,New York

Beginning of week I went to the Beaverkill , it was really turbid, and up
Two days later perfect conditions , yesterday was a pleasure to be in the river .
Been quiet around here as of late ?, vacations or just hitting the rivers?
Be safe ,have fun , " tie-some
Jmd123June 23rd, 2017, 11:19 am
Oscoda, MI

Crappy weather! Raining or blowing or both...plus family issues for me. So, my fishing schedule is waaaay behind this season, hoping to catch up here sometime soon. IF we get any stable weather, that is...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
David82ndJune 23rd, 2017, 11:43 am
Upstate,New York

Good luck .. the weather has been nice here , waters aren't dried up like last summer , imdo think the Hatches are off a bit though , but any day in the river is a good day , I'll be back in on Monday , don't fish on weekend the crowds aren't worth it , lol
RogueratJune 23rd, 2017, 1:39 pm
Ditto on Jonathon's comments, The Muskegon is near flood stage and has yet to crest due to near 7" rainfall over much of area upriver. Pretty much all streams around here are way over wading levels.

Headin' for the UP next week, an 11 day trek and no real timetable or schedule to follow...just rambling around from one stream to the next!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
PartsmanJune 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm
bancroft michigan

Fished Tuesday on a popular Michigan river, the weather sucked, lots of wind!All I had to do was pick my line up and let the wind carry at will. I caught lots of small fish and maybe 3 decent fish, all browns. It would be nice to have some nice stable weather, and now I see this river is blown out. I hope things get better before Tuesday, that's fishing with Mike day. I gotta new rod for my 60 th birthday a gloomis nrx 5 wt. man I love that thing! So for the Michigan crew heres to no rain and no wind for a while.
Mike.
RogueratJune 24th, 2017, 4:55 am
Addendum to high flows and flood stages,

I frequently check the USGS WaterWatch website for Michigan and get real time flows in CFS and depths for specific sites the streams I fish, plus a lot of others I have yet to wade. Lots of data such as historical flows, mean/extreme, percentile ratings and more...I can compare the information with what was happening my last time on stream and get a good idea as to wading safely or not.

OR simply note that things are in the "98th percentile and 356% of normal flow' which is pretty indicative of 'don't even think about it'.

I would guess since this is a National service it would be available for most or all states as well. A good resource, IMHO.

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
David82ndJune 24th, 2017, 5:08 am
Upstate,New York

Wow sounds like you Michigan boys are having tough weather , hopefully it eases up for you guys ,
PartsmanJune 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm
bancroft michigan

Rouge you are so right, the USGS site is my favorite, I check it at least two to three times a day. This is a helpful site that I don't mind paying for, with that said things still look kinda of shakey next week. We don't need any more rain for a while, had 4 inches Thursday. Oh well just gotta deal with it.
Mike.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.