Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The kids is alright!! (Epic Steelie cures hangover)

Keystoner has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.3X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionNW Oregon
Specific LocationUpper Sandy
Time of DayBrunch time
Fish CaughtSteelie!!

Details and Discussion

KeystonerMarch 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

I had been working the Sandy off and on all winter, and had really only gotten into one hatchery fish, which was taken at Oxbow Park. At some point, my lack of success, and the bait chucking masses got the better of me and I had a meltdown. I posted my tales of woe to another forum, and came up with an invite from a guy that I had actually met previously to come up and fish the upper river with him. I, of course, graciously accepted.

The morning of, I was a little off. We had been up late the night before drinking and talking Steelhead, so I had a little headache going. There was also a strong upstream wind at the first spot we fished, and I was finding it hard to maintain. Still, I soldiered on, fished the water completely, and then we retired for some breakfast. Dave had already taken one. Feeling a bit better after some steak, eggs, and potatoes, we set out again. The second run he put me on was a dream. Slow green braids twisting around some choicely positioned boulders.

I started casting.

About ten casts in, I got tired of the dumbell eyes I was tossing and traded up in favor of a simple un-weighted Hoh Bo pattern. I resumed casting. About ten swings, and nine steps down later. The line came tight. A second after the fish rolled on top, I heard Dave let out a deep "YEAH!!" from behind me. It was on. The first run was a killer, the fish took out at least 250 feet on me, waaaay into the backing before it finally quit. The rest as they say, is history. This is why I don't mind waiting two or three months between fish.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
EntomanMarch 28th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

Beautiful wild hen, Matt. Looks like a BC Steelie.... Heavy shouldered, hard, and all chrome! My guess 14 lbs?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
KeystonerMarch 29th, 2013, 11:54 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Thanks, fellas. Not sure on the weight, Kurt. How does one put a number on, "Oh my god, that's awesome!!"

Headed back up there tomorrow, see if I can swing up some more. It's apparently REALLY hot right now.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
EntomanMarch 30th, 2013, 12:29 am
Northern CA & ID

How does one put a number on, "Oh my god, that's awesome!!"

By saying, "It was at least 14 lbs., maybe bigger!" ;)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMarch 30th, 2013, 12:54 am
Northern CA & ID

BTW - What do you think of big & wild WC Steelies? Size, genetics, salt water, and a big river to run in... They're a little different aren't they...

Anyway, congrats!

BTW2 - bring a tape with you. If you are honest (which all steelheaders are), length and girth steelhead formulas are very accurate.

BTW3 - another great thing about wild fish is their greater propensity to move up in the water column to take a fly. You may catch less fish swinging unweighted flies but a far greater percentage will be wild. Regardless, you will catch far more electric fish with a fly that swings than by dredging. That suits me just fine...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.