Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > wooly bugger

Flyman85May 18th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Posts: 30what materials do you guys use for the bugger? looks like a dancer to me only i use a goldhead and marabou for the tail? cheers lads
Jmd123May 18th, 2011, 10:09 pm
Oscoda, MI

Flyman, I may tie mine a little different from other folks, but here goes:

Standard OR grizzly marabou for the tail, sometimes topped with Krystal Flash (10-20 strands);

Weighted underbody (in most cases) OR dumbell/beadchain eyes for weight (I can't get them to sink well without added weight);

Thin wire tied in at the base of the tail;

Chenille body, occasionally Krystal Tinsel Chenille;

Grizzly saddle hackle (OR color to match tail & chenille, but grizzly is my favorite) tied in at the hook eye, then palmer-wrapped backwards toward the tail and then counter-wrapped over with the thin wire, which is then tied off at the head.

That's my own personal favorite way to tie them, but of course, others will do it differently - which is the beautiful thing about the Woolly Bugger, there's a thousand (maybe a million?) ways to tie them! Whatever works for you, this way works for me.

Jonathon

P.S. Favorite colors: black, brown, olive, purple, chartreuse, hot orange, hot pink, yellow, and sky blue with a silver Krystal Tinsel Chenille body.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JesseMay 19th, 2011, 8:42 pm
Just chenille, marabou, variations of hackle depending on how your feeling, weight or no weight i rock and there you have it! Bugger!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Flyman85May 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Posts: 30yea u gotta love the beadchain eyes for gettin down where the better fish are. you have a look at them jmd? getting camera sorted this weekend so i,l upload some pics, cheers lads
DundeMay 22nd, 2011, 2:16 am
dannivirke

iv just started fly fishing and fly tying and i want to know how to make the tail of flys fluffy.ive tyed a few but i dont know if they are any good.
MotroutMay 24th, 2011, 10:35 pm
iv just started fly fishing and fly tying and i want to know how to make the tail of flys fluffy.ive tyed a few but i dont know if they are any good.

Use lots of marabou to make the tail fluffy.

I'm sure they will work. It's hard to make a woolly bugger that doesn't catch fish. Get out there and fish with them and see for yourself-trout (or bass, or sunfish) don't care whether your fly is pretty or not. The flies that I tie sure aren't, and I still manage to catch fish now and then.

It's awesome that you have started fly fishing and tying. For me that was the best decision I ever made.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.