Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tiny Blue Winged Olives

TimCatMay 1st, 2016, 9:58 pm
Alanson, MI

I fished the Black River in Michigan about a half hour from gaylord this Saturday morning. The only bugs I "recognized" on the surface were some sporadic Blue-Winged Olives coming off the surface. Not much of a hatch in the classic sense, and no fish were rising either. The water was just above 40 degrees F. As a novice, I am not positive this was baetis or baetidae, but they were green mayflies with purpleish and pinkish wings. These guys were tiny. If I had to guess a hook size for them it would be 24-26 or smaller. Is this possible for BWOs or am I mistaken? I always thought they weren't much smaller than size 18.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but even if I took the time to take one, my phone would not be able to focus on something that small.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
EntomanMay 1st, 2016, 10:27 pm
Northern CA & ID

No, you are probably right about them being baetids, though the odds are they probably aren't in the genus Baetis. The wing color you noticed sounds like a description of spinner wings in the right light conditions.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TimCatMay 2nd, 2016, 7:27 pm
Alanson, MI

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I was just surprised to see them being so small. I had nothing in my box even remotely close to that size, not even trico patterns.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.