Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > unknown mites-please help

Dawnrenee has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
DawnreneeAugust 19th, 2008, 2:16 pm
Posts: 1I don'k know if anyone can help me or not, but it's worth a shot. I had let my kids put some little tadpoles in my aquarium for the fish to eat, but I know that was a big mistake. Now the bottom of my aquarium is covered with tiny mites. They haven't tried messing with my fish YET. I've tried cleaning the tank, but they won't go away. I don' know what they are to even try to find out how to get rid of them permantly without killing my fish. They are smaller than spider mites that you would find on plants. They are clear with what looks like about 6 black dots on their backs and the underneath has nothing. The body seems to be a thin shell-type. Not hard to squash, but seems hard for it's tiny size. I took some pictures using my small camera and a magnifying glass. I don't have anything fancy to take better pictures, but I hope the description will help out. The mites are on regular size small marble and regular size small aquarium gravel. And I can answer any questions to the best of my ability. Can someone please help? I can also be reached at dawndawnrenee@aol.com. Thanks, Dawn S.

p.s. Here are three pics. I have one more, but there was too many kb to be acceped. Thanks for any and all help.
InconnuAugust 28th, 2008, 11:16 am
Beaumont, Alberta

It is hard to make them out clearly but the shape of the clearer critters say they are daphnia. If they are and I believe I am right, they are raised as food for aquarium fish. Hope this helps....Kerry
existo bonus ut invicem
TroutnutSeptember 2nd, 2008, 10:42 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah, a couple critters in the second picture especially look like Daphnia. If so, they're actually a good and harmless food source for anything else in your tank. Don't worry about it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.