Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New here.... old otherwise!

BippieNovember 25th, 2009, 9:54 am
Altoona, PA

Will be 51 in '10, married for 32 years, four kids (three married and youngest in 2nd year of college, four grandchildren. Have been fly fishing since I was six and tying flys since I was 10 (my dad was tired of paying $3.00 a dozen and decided I should tie his flys). I worked in printing and construction for a while and for the past 21 years I've been a pastor. Lived in PA my entire life. For many years I tied bulk for shops as well as sold flies on my own, rod building and repair, casting instructing, etc. Have three main hobbies.... fly fishing and tying, building and repairing acoustic instruments, and motorcycles. The fly fishing and motorcycling compete for the same type of weather so I am often conflicted... when I'm on a creek somewhere and hear a bike I want to go ride... when I'm out riding and pass a creek I want to fish.... I've tried counseling myself but I always end up in argument.

When I tied bulk for shops I always took part of my pay in materials (at the dealers cost not the shelf price) so I was able to build up a nice stock pile of materials. I mostly took Metz necks and hooks.... which by the way I can't believe the price of hooks!

Have been on a tying hiatus for about two years (way too busy schedule), this week I cleaned off my bench and got back at it... tied 5 dozen so far this week.

Being an occasional hunter (used to be avid) I procure my own squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, turkey, and deer tying materials. I also connect with other hunters/trappers in my church and procure more materials and there are several avid hunters in the family.

Have spent a lot of time on... Cross Forks Creek, Kettle Creek, Hammersley Fork, Elk Lick, Pine Creek, Little Sinnemahoning Creek, Slate Run, Bob's Creek, Yellow Creek, Yellow Breeches, Big Springs, Stoney Creek, Muddy Run, Donegal Springs, ...... and too many more to mention.
TaxonNovember 25th, 2009, 1:17 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Welcome aboard, Bippie. Sounds like you have much to offer.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BippieNovember 25th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Altoona, PA

Thanks Taxon! From what I have perused from the site I think I have far more to learn than to offer.
UPTroutBumNovember 27th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Marquette, MI

Funny, I have the same three main hobbies as you and I'm 22. Fly fishing, motorcycles, and playing acoustic guitar. Been fly fishing for three years and have had a bike for two.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
LastchanceNovember 28th, 2009, 5:05 am
Portage, PA

Hey Pastor Bippie! I work in Altoona and I , too, love fly tying, fishing and acoustic guitars, but I'm not too thrilled with motorcycles. I don't hunt as much as I used to because I can't find many people that hunt small game. As a matter of fact, deer hunters are getting fewer because of the lack of deer. I fish all year and I'm never too busy to wet a line. Send me a PM and maybe we can hook-up, excuse the pun.
Bruce
LastchanceNovember 28th, 2009, 5:05 am
Portage, PA

Hey Pastor Bippie! I work in Altoona and I , too, love fly tying, fishing and acoustic guitars, but I'm not too thrilled with motorcycles. I don't hunt as much as I used to because I can't find many people that hunt small game. As a matter of fact, deer hunters are getting fewer because of the lack of deer. I fish all year and I'm never too busy to wet a line. Send me a PM and maybe we can hook-up, excuse the pun.
Bruce
BippieNovember 29th, 2009, 6:29 pm
Altoona, PA

Lastchance, you're not gonna believe this but I'm from Portage myself!!! PAHS class of '77! Married in '78 and moved away for nearly 20 years. Moved back to the area (Altoona) in 2000!
TilmanDecember 7th, 2009, 10:32 am
Gemany

Welcome. I registered today and i still havenŽt found the introduction thread ...

IŽll introduce myself there.
"Live and Learn" - Mr. Spock

http://www.directupload.net/galerie/154319/LfyCOrbM3j/0
MartinlfDecember 8th, 2009, 3:42 pm
Palmyra PA

Welcome Tilman, it's good to have you on board.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.