Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > under water video

BrookloverApril 22nd, 2008, 5:22 pm
chester county pa

I was curious if there is an under water camera that can be left in a pool that will transmit to the internet? If so how much would it cost. im tryin to find out what a small stream in my area holds. Even a camera that was trigered by motion or was on a timer would work. kinda like a game camera that hunters use.
CaseyPApril 22nd, 2008, 6:01 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

d'you mean like those cameras they point at construction sites? we watched the new Nationals Stadium get built that way. too cool for words! a large construction firm might be able to steer you to whoever puts up cameras for them. then you'd need a waterproof box; oh, and some electricity...when it's up, be sure to let us know!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
BrookloverApril 23rd, 2008, 3:31 pm
chester county pa

nothing that sophisticated. ive seen cameras in walmart that hunters set up on deer trails to see whats traveling by. There motion triggered. not sure if i could get a waterproof case for one. also not sure if just the motion of the water would set them off or not.
BrookloverApril 23rd, 2008, 3:34 pm
chester county pa

nothing that sophisticated. ive seen cameras in walmart that hunters set up on deer trails to see whats traveling by. There motion triggered. not sure if i could get a waterproof case for one. also not sure if just the motion of the water would set them off or not.
Shawnny3April 23rd, 2008, 5:01 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I would worry about the camera being either stolen or washed away.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutApril 23rd, 2008, 8:09 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It's going to be really hard to do what you want to do, and probably only possible if the stream is right next to your house. You need, at the very least, an electrical power supply, and probably a way to run computer cords out there. A car battery isn't enough power. You wouldn't want to try it unless you're really good with electronics.

I've looked into the possibilities for this pretty exhaustively in the last couple weeks because I'm going to do something similar with my research (though recording instead of transmitting to the Internet, which would be impossible unless tethered to a computer). For long-term surveillance I'm going to use an Aqua-Vu AV DVR ice fishing camera hooked up to two car batteries in parallel, and I'll still have to switch out the recording media every 8 hours to get 24 hours of video. Then I'll have to go recharge the two 50-pound batteries before I can do it again. Very far from ideal...

My recommendation is to figure out what's in the stream the old-fashioned way, by sitting on the bank and watching.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.