Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Newbie

This topic is about the Insect Order Trichoptera

Some say caddisflies are even more important than mayflies, and they are probably right. The angling world has taken a while to come to terms with this blasphemy. Caddis imitations are close to receiving their fare share of time on the end of the tippet, but too many anglers still assume all caddisflies are pretty much the same.

Caddis species actually provide as much incentive to learn their specifics as the mayflies do. There is just as much variety in their emergence and egg-laying behaviors, and as many patterns and techniques are needed to match them. Anglers are hampered only by the relative lack of information about caddisfly behavior and identification. Read more...

There are 124 more specimens...

The Discussion

GennieSMay 25th, 2009, 1:10 pm
Posts: 1I am a Canuck. I grew up trout fishing in the Canadian Rockies and Purcells, and learned to tie flies way back in the 1950's. I became quite expert at it by the standards in those days but the flies we tied were all of the traditional "Royal Coachman, Silver Doctor" type. Some older fishers were tying flies on the water according to the hatches they encountered but us kids never got that sophisticated. In our teens we switched to spin fishing and it has been over 50 years (I am 69 years old in a few weeks) since I tied flies. However I am a biologist and always look under rocks and so on, and discovered caddis fly larvae when I was barely past the toddler stage.

I now live on Lake Athabasca which is way back in the sticks so to speak, and in Arctic Grayling country. (Lake Athabasca produced the world record Lake Trout at 102 lbs)I have purchased another fly tying outfit and am trying to 'catch up' to the art that has really passed me by. This summer/fall I hope to catch my first Arctic Grayling, and thus my interest in this site. I would be interested in anything anyone has about the Caddis/Mayfly/Stoneflies of the north and any information on tying such flies as well. Internet links would also be appreciated. Nice to meecha all by the way, and my compliments on the site. Gennie
TaxonMay 25th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi GennieS-

Welcome aboard. While looking up your lake, I discovered Dale Parker's AquaTax Consulting site, which seems to be a terrific resource for SK aquatic invertebrates.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Shawnny3May 26th, 2009, 3:29 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome, GennieS. It's never too late to get into flyfishing, though it can certainly make you wish you'd done it sooner. I wish you the best in your "new" hobby, and hope it doesn't become too much of an obsession for you. If it does, this is a good place to meet people similarly obsessed. Call it therapy.

Hi, my name is Shawn, and I'm a flyfisherman...
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.