Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sinking Tip

McflyanglerJanuary 21st, 2017, 2:50 pm
New Mexico, United States

I am looking for a good sinking tip line for streamer fishing. Where I fish it can get as deep as 20 feet, and its rather quick moving water. I don't need to hit the bottom though, just get a good 10' or so. I plan on using a Sage Method (its rather stiff) in a 6wt. Any recommendations? A line that can cast with such a stiff rod?
Mc Fly Angler
http://www.mcflyangler.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/mcflylures
PartsmanJanuary 21st, 2017, 6:29 pm
bancroft michigan

I have been studying streamer lines myself and I'm considering the airflo streamer max, the only to find out is to buy it and try it.
Mike.
PaulRobertsJanuary 23rd, 2017, 2:56 pm
Colorado

Ten feet of moving water is asking a lot. You'd need a ton of weight so a 6wt wont do it. I've fished 20+ feet down using a full sink main line and a leadcore head. That was in still water and you had to be patient.

Maybe a conventional spinning rig?
McflyanglerJanuary 27th, 2017, 11:49 am
New Mexico, United States

No thanks on the conventional. I think I am going to try the Rio "outbound short" 10' sink tip... I can always add a bit of weight on the streamers and throw them on a longer leader to get down even deeper. Any thoughts?
Mc Fly Angler
http://www.mcflyangler.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/mcflylures
WbranchJanuary 27th, 2017, 4:08 pm
York & Starlight PA

Mcflyangler wrote;

and throw them on a longer leader to get down even deeper

I'm not 100% sure about what I am about to write but I'm pretty sure that I read someplace that you defeat the intent of a sink tip fly line by using a long leader. I kind of remember seeing an illustration of the sink tip portion of the line getting deeper in the water column then seeing a belly in the long leader and the fly well above the depth of the tip of the sink tip line.

In my thought process I would imagine a short leader would be more effective in getting the fly deeper. I often use only a piece of 0X about 2' - 3' long when the water in the river I fish is higher than normal and stained. I'm no expert though regarding sinking line strategies.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123January 29th, 2017, 5:42 pm
Oscoda, MI

Matt, I've heard the same recommendations, including on here when I asked. I have a 5-weight sink tip to deploy one of these days at Reid Lake, which has a maximum depth of 38 ft. Not that I need to go THAT deep, but I am planning on going deeper than with just a weighted fly on a floating line. It was a couple of years ago I walked into Wellman's bait and tackle, at the mouth of the Au Sable, to drop off some perch from that lake that I was shown someone else's catch from that lake...and thought they were walleye! Those can't be perch - OMG, they ARE! 15" and up, caught by a guy still fishing down deep. Perhaps if I can get one of my KBFs down in their faces I can haul up some monsters like that! And, that could also be where the lunker rainbows hide...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.