Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Streamer rig set up questions

Fliesties22December 5th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Grand Rapids, MI

Hey there!

New to the forum, and relatively new to flyfishing (2 1/2yrs). I recently got married this fall, so didn't get a lot of fishing in and I plan on being ready to hit it hard in 2020. I'm looking for some helpful advice on rod set up, specifically for streamers, for Michigan Rivers (Southern & Northern West Michigan primarily). I currently have a 5wt set up (described below) and plan on getting a similar set up for a 7wt, so I would like some advice there as well.

5wt - 9' Echo Base w/Waterworks-Lamson Remix 5+
This set up will be my go to for trout fishing, but I purchased the three pack and want to have a streamer set up ready when I'm out fishing dries/nymphs.
From what I've read, about a 200 grain weight line would be good for this set up.
I'm wondering what lines do you guys prefer?
What grain weight would you suggest? I'm thinking sink 3 given most of the spots I wade fish aren't overly deep.
What sink rate would be best for most average situations in this part of MI?
Should I overweight the line and get a 6wt line over a 5wt?

7wt - 9' Echo Base w/Waterworks-Lamson Remix/Liquid 7+
This rod will primarily be a streamer rod, though I also plan to use it to nymph for steelhead in the.
What I've heard is 250 grain is the sweet spot for a 7wt.
What lines do you guys prefer?
What grain weight would you suggest?
I appreciate any advice and thank you in advance!

Cheers
Cheers,

Austin
PartsmanDecember 6th, 2019, 9:26 am
bancroft michigan

Welcome Fliesties22, lots of questions there. I really only got sorta serious about streamer fishing this year, I purchased a 9ft 6in #6 orvis recon since they were on sale, also I decided to try the wf-6-floating Bank Shot line. Im a wade fisher so a floating line is just easier to work with. The line is almost a Skagit type line, pretty cool. I tie my own flies and streamers, and weight my stuff according to the conditions I believe I will be fishing. For most trout fishing on the rivers I fish here Michigan I don't think I need a sink tip line, I have thought of maybe some rio mow tips, but some active mending of the line and weight at the streamer has worked well for me this fall. I don't like the idea of over or under weight lining a rod, if I wanted to fish a 6 or 7 weight line then I would a rod for that line. I would assume you are fishing the Grand and Rogue, and maybe few others, but there are big differences in say the Grand and the Rogue so you really have to just some experience on those streams see what works best for you with the rigs you have. I might suggest stopping at Nomad Anglers in GR, they are knowledgeable on all the streams over there. I hope some of the technical guys can chime in, and jump right in here and ask more questions.
Take care, Mike.
MartinlfDecember 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Palmyra PA

I don't have much to add to the good advice Mike gives, and don't fish streamers all that much, but I do think a floating line is fine for many presentations. I've never used a sink or sink tip, even with guides who were big on streamers. They typically handed me one of their rods that had a floating line. I do think sinking lines might be a pain to get to the surface for casting, but only guess this from what I've read. I hope some who use streamers a lot have more advice to offer.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchDecember 17th, 2019, 9:12 am
York & Starlight PA

I fish streamers quite successfully in some situations. I typically use a 9' #7 rod and line. I use a floating line when the water is clear or has relatively good clarity. I use traditional sink tips for dirty water and higher flows. Sink tips are really not any harder to get out of the water than floating lines because the sink portion is rarely longer than 15'. I would never, under any circumstances, use a full sinking line unless I was fishing a very deep lake or salt water in a boat and the target species were holding in 20' - 40' of water. Then you need not only a sinking like but a very heavy fast sinker so you get the fly down quickly.

I've also been trying those various length and sink rate Rio Versileaders for those times when I don't want to be using the #7 rod all day but might still want to throw a streamer on a #5 or #6 weight rod. They have sink rates from 1.5" ips to as much as 7.0 ips.

Why would you want to do that? What advantages do you think you would get by overlining the rod. That might really stress the rod blank. You are going to be casting haevier and more air resistant flies and probably using a double haul cast.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfDecember 18th, 2019, 9:39 am
Palmyra PA

Matt's tips are always helpful. I've cut and pasted a number of them out over the years, and returned to them. Now he has me thinking about the Versileaders. I think I'll cut and paste this one to ponder for 2020.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchDecember 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm
York & Starlight PA

Louis,

I'm looking forward to fishing with you in late June and showing you around that beautiful water.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AfishinadoDecember 19th, 2019, 4:23 am
SE PA

Hey there!

New to the forum, and relatively new to flyfishing (2 1/2yrs). I recently got married this fall, so didn't get a lot of fishing in and I plan on being ready to hit it hard in 2020. I'm looking for some helpful advice on rod set up, specifically for streamers, for Michigan Rivers (Southern & Northern West Michigan primarily). I currently have a 5wt set up (described below) and plan on getting a similar set up for a 7wt, so I would like some advice there as well.

5wt - 9' Echo Base w/Waterworks-Lamson Remix 5+
This set up will be my go to for trout fishing, but I purchased the three pack and want to have a streamer set up ready when I'm out fishing dries/nymphs.
From what I've read, about a 200 grain weight line would be good for this set up.
I'm wondering what lines do you guys prefer?
What grain weight would you suggest? I'm thinking sink 3 given most of the spots I wade fish aren't overly deep.

7wt - 9' Echo Base w/Waterworks-Lamson Remix/Liquid 7+
This rod will primarily be a streamer rod, though I also plan to use it to nymph for steelhead in the.
What I've heard is 250 grain is the sweet spot for a 7wt.
What lines do you guys prefer?
What grain weight would you suggest?
I appreciate any advice and thank you in advance!

Cheers

I have attached a really good article written by Lefty Kreh about choosing the best lines and line weights for the type of fishing you plan to do >

https://www.scientificanglers.com/choose-right-fly-line-weight/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.