Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > aquatic acoustics (warning: science content)

KonchuJune 16th, 2011, 6:41 am
Site Editor
Indiana

"When scaled to body length and compared to 227 other acoustic species, the acoustic energy produced by Micronecta scholtzi appears as an extreme value, outperforming marine and terrestrial mammal vocalisations" (from the online journal, PLoS ONE . Link goes to original article.
PaulRobertsJune 16th, 2011, 7:46 am
Colorado

So... how do they use it?
KonchuJune 16th, 2011, 9:09 am
Site Editor
Indiana

From the article:

Here we report for the first time the acoustic behaviour of Micronecta scholtzi (Fieber, 1860), a common aquatic bug that produces an extremely loud courtship song. This insect is a few millimetres in length yet can produce sound audible from the riverside. This suggests the emission of intense signals departing from the body size to amplitude rule.
OldredbarnJune 16th, 2011, 10:45 am
Novi, MI

a common aquatic bug that produces an extremely loud courtship song. This insect is a few millimetres in length yet can produce sound audible from the riverside.

Before I found my wife and she settled me down, I was known to do the same thing when the cutie-pies in their bikini's slid by in their canoes on the good old Au Sable...:) "Hey fisherman! Are you having any luck today?" "That depends sweetie...Where you girls camping this evening? I have a bottle of Gavi chilling in that feeder spring over there...I could bring it along and we can sing Kum-by-ya around the fire tonight..."

The first TroutNut who makes a wise crack about "a few millimetres in length" will get his ears boxed...;) Especially if it's Tony!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonJune 16th, 2011, 11:10 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Micronecta scholtzi: a European species of lesser waterboatman
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanJune 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

Not wanting my ears boxed, I'm going to stay away from millimeters (whether true or not). However, did those bikini clad cutie-pies cause any emission of intense acoustic signals departing from the body size to amplitude rule?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJune 16th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Novi, MI

Not wanting my ears boxed, I'm going to stay away from millimeters (whether true or not). However, did those bikini clad cutie-pies cause any emission of intense acoustic signals departing from the body size to amplitude rule?

In a manner of speaking...;)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyJune 16th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Hayward, WI.

The first TroutNut who makes a wise crack about "a few millimetres in length" will get his ears boxed...;)

Do I detect just a wee bit of self consciousness?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnJune 16th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Novi, MI

Allan,

As you may recall, Dr Ziggy Freud once said, after he noticed his audience staring at his cigar..."You must remember, that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..." ;)

"wee bit"...Is that metric as well?

Spence

Jmd123June 16th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Oscoda, MI

It depends on just how many millimeters we are talking about here - a few, or a few hundred?? Size does matter...

;oD

A few astronomy jokes here, which for some reason I've never seen exploited on a t-shirt or bumper sticker:

"How many inches do YOU have?"

"Astronomers stay up ALL NIGHT!"

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.