Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My trying Room well one of them

JAD has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
JADDecember 19th, 2008, 6:56 am
Alexandria Pa

I'll try this heaven knows if it will work

This is one of my favorite ones L Martins part time bed.
The others are the room that my sweet wife (Bird Lady) lets me play in.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfDecember 19th, 2008, 9:56 am
Palmyra PA

Yeah, I recognize the Cicada factory there in the top photo. You clear off the fur and feathers after long day's fishing on the J, move the table down a bit, flip a few cushions and it's the Ritz-Carleton as far as I'm concerned. I just have to shut John's door when he's snoring too loud. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TroutnutDecember 19th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very nice!!

"Trying room," I like that... works on about 3 levels!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TrtklrDecember 20th, 2008, 7:42 am
Banned
Michigan

hey I just noticed you've been tying with a "crown royal"
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
JZordMarch 18th, 2009, 12:57 pm
New York

nice setup you got there
WbranchMarch 22nd, 2009, 3:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

Great looking fly tying areas - Crown Royal, a TV, and a roll of TP! What else does one need anyway?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JADMarch 23rd, 2009, 6:37 pm
Alexandria Pa

Only one thing Matt , If Louis is sitting beside me instructing me how to tie his secret midge.:)

Tight Lines
John
Maybe this.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
CaseyPMarch 24th, 2009, 7:01 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

tsch! don't often see that--the reel just falling off the rod.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JADMarch 24th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Alexandria Pa

Casey honey only you are looking at the reel.

John

CharlieSawdMarch 24th, 2009, 5:57 pm
St. Michael, Minnesota

Lookin good!
Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com
PatcrisciMarch 27th, 2009, 5:51 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Very cozy fly-tying quarters. I could be very comfortable there too, Louis. In fact I'll bet, for me, it has more amenities than the Ritz-Carleton, even though I never stayed at the Ritz. Now about the bikini-ed fly fisher, would you call that "fishing with a nymph?"
Pat Crisci
MartinlfMarch 27th, 2009, 6:22 am
Palmyra PA

Hi Pat,

Those are photos of John Dunn's (JAD) tying rooms. The first is in his camper, where I mooch his deer steaks after a day's fishing on the J, and camp out until he throws me out. He was making a joke about how the table turns into a bed. My own tying room in my basement, as John can tell you, is much smaller and more primitive--not to mention messier.

I'm the guy who found the reels at Sierra. Those Lamsons are an exceptional value. I called and talked to the folks there. They are a small company with a real focus on quality. I'm thrilled to find a relatively light (4.5 oz) LA reel for the Delaware River bows at such a good price. I've had them streak upstream, then turn and blaze down leaving me with a pile of line everywhere. I'm hoping the LA will help. With luck, I'll find out this season.

Oh yes, the poster of the nymph is John's too, though I've seen those before. One of my female colleagues emailed a series of them to me not long ago, thinking I might appreciate them. I was shocked. ;>

--Louis (martinlf)

--Fred Chappell
GONZOMarch 27th, 2009, 8:28 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

One of my female colleagues emailed a series of them to me not long ago, thinking I might appreciate them. I was shocked.

Nice Claude Raines impression, Inspector Louie!

...would you call that "fishing with a nymph?"

Pat, (with all due apologies to Casey) I believe that the technique employed by John's unhappy hooker is known as "short-lining" a nymph.
PatcrisciMarch 27th, 2009, 9:58 am
Lagrangeville, NY

My fly tying bench is in my basement too. Strewn with odd scraps of fur; bits and pieces of tinsel, wire; caked with old paint, dried caulking, mouse droppings (which I have still not found useful for tying flies but often think about). Not quite the Ritz :(

Louis, let me know how you like your new reel. I have an old Hardy LRH, and a Plfueger 1492 that I still use but I might treat myself to a new reel this year. I'm curious to hear how you like your LA.

Pat Crisci
GONZOMarch 27th, 2009, 12:14 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I've had them streak upstream, then turn and blaze down leaving me with a pile of line everywhere. I'm hoping the LA will help.

Louis,

Because John has already hijacked his own thread with that prurient poster, I'll run the further risk by sharing a few thoughts about the situation you describe:

As I learned long ago with steelhead, the only tactic that works reasonably well when big, fast fish go ballistic and rapidly reverse direction is to clamp the line under your finger and strip like crazy. (And a glove or tape can provide some protection from the inevitable burns and cuts that result from this tactic, whether stripping line in or easing it out to a suddenly surging fish.) No fly reel short of a high-speed motorized winch can keep up with such maneuvers.

That said, the LA will respool the stripped line quicker. Due to the wider spool, however, you might need to pay more attention to winding the line evenly in order to avoid tangles and potential binding caused by the line bulking up in one spot under the frame. I slightly underfill my reels (especially my big-fish reels) to give a margin of safety in this regard, but that practice could compromise the limited backing capacity found on most LAs. These considerations might sometimes negate the advantage of a faster retrieve.

Lamson does indeed build very nice LAs, and they pay more attention to weight than is typical of many LA makers. Many of their reels are great values, and I think you made a good choice. However, I do feel that a few of the advantages of LAs are a bit overstated. (The more consistent drag as line is reduced on the reel is, I think, one of their main advantages.)
JADMarch 27th, 2009, 2:45 pm
Alexandria Pa

(when big, fast fish go ballistic and rapidly reverse direction is to clamp the line under your finger and strip like crazy. (And a glove or tape can provide some protection from the inevitable burns and cuts that result from this tactic, whether stripping line in or easing it out to a suddenly surging fish.) No fly reel short of a high-speed motorized winch can keep up with such maneuvers.)

That's it Im going to start lifting weights, I;ll get a good cut man ---then slug it out with the Delaware River bows .If any buddy need any help let old JD know:)

Where is my Crown Royal
John

GONZOMarch 27th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Despite all the ways that they keep screwing with the river, John, I'm sure you'd love the Delaware fish. They aren't all the size of steelhead, though some outrageous monsters--particularly big browns--have been caught. Whatever the size, the fish are nearly all wild and very strong. In the big water of the mainstem, which used to be the very best fishing for rainbows, even the average fish can really take advantage of all that room. Get Matt (Wbranch) or Louis (or both) to share some of the fun with you! (And do it before it's ruined. You never know when that might be.)
MartinlfMarch 27th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Palmyra PA

Hi Lloyd,

Your tips on managing a LA reel are much appreciated. Having used a traditional style reel for about twenty years, I wasn't aware of the extra attention they'd need in terms of level winding. And it certainly makes sense. I do this with my reel now, so it won't be entirely foreign to me, but it's very helpful to start off alert. As for the stripping like crazy, I've been in exactly that mode, ending up with a pile of line in the boat or the water, then struggling to get line back on the reel. It's been drummed into my head that this is the best way to fight a fish, and I always try to get line on a reel even with small fish. I'll be interested to see how it all works with the LA. If I don't like the Lamson, I'm fairly certain I can recoup enough of what I put into them on eBay to be OK with the learning experience. But I'm such a hard head, I'll probably just make it work for me.

Hey, I just noticed that I finally passed you in number of posts. Now I need to consider if that's a good thing.

--Fred Chappell
GONZOMarch 27th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I'm pretty sure that you will like your Lamson(s), Louis--a word to the wise is sufficient.

As for the number of posts: I happily relinquish the distinction. I don't think you have anything to worry about until your number exceeds Jason's. :)
GONZOMarch 28th, 2009, 7:40 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

NOTE: A good friend has just informed me that in my age-enfeebled effort to keep track of all of the Johns on this site, I have inadvertently added another one. I have attempted to make corrections. My sincere apologies to Matt. And thanks for catching my stupid error, "Martin." :{
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.