Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Aqua seal is really good, and so is gorilla glue.

PartsmanMay 8th, 2020, 2:31 pm
bancroft michigan

Well my waders were leaking, orvis silver sonics 4 years old and I beat the crap out of them. I know for sure there were two holes in the neoprene footies and maybe some seepage in crotch. So I got some aqua seal from my favorite fly shop, and also some Nikwax wash cleaner. First I washed the waders in the washing machine with the Nikwax cleaner, then in the dryer on delicate. then did a inspection with alcohol, plus the footies were pretty obvious. So I went fishing Wednesday, and although the fishing sucked my waders did not! I can say aqua seal is great product, simply follow the directions and you can at least get some more life out of your waders, I also think the Nikwax is a good idea for cleaning waterproof clothing. As a side note I dropped my power screwdriver from the top of a ladder today, really cracked the housing bad, so I got out the gorilla supper glue and its holding together well enough to continue my project for now. So there are 3 products I really like and would recommend.
Mike.
TroutnutMay 9th, 2020, 10:09 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah, I've used Aquaseal all the time to clean up my Silver Sonics. I abuse them pretty badly, so I'm always sprouting new pinhole leaks, and plugging them once or twice a year is just a matter of routine, along with replacing the waders every few years. I love the Silver Sonics because the expensive ones don't last me any longer than they do, and I'd rather get new mid-priced waders every few years than new top-end ones that will leak just as much and cost more to replace.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RleePMay 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

That's an interesting observation regarding the durability difference between mid-priced and top end waders, Jason. I've found pretty much the same thing. My Beans Kennebecs and my Simms waist highs both went three years before the percentage of Aquaseal in their overall weight began to creep steadily upwards. Yet there was a couple hundred dollars difference in their prices when new.

I also think there is a pretty sharp drop off in durability when the lower tier Cabelas/Frogg Toggs ($100-130 or so) etc. are compared to the mid price point (approx. $200-250 or so) waders.

So, any more I always buy middle of the line cost wise..
MartinlfMay 10th, 2020, 9:22 pm
Palmyra PA

Thanks! I hadn't figured this out, but it makes sense.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.