Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hardy cane rods

FlebowOctober 21st, 2011, 2:51 pm
NW Montana

A good but ditant friend and fishing partner sent me a Hardy 6 wt 3 piece rod plus an extra tripfor my 65th b'day
It says Palakona
http://www.westslopefly.com/rods/dsp_rodDetails.cfm?rodID=180
8" 6" #6

I am sure that mine is a copy as I can find NO serial # and I have inspected it w a magnifier already
There is also no provenance

I have other 5 and 6 wts w Lamson Evolution , Waterworks, Ross reels
& one Galvan reel

I am looking for a reel to fit this rod -Two suggestions so far are the Hardy Perfect - too much$$
and a Grey reel made by Hardy (looks good)
Does anyone have suggestions on reels and lines w/o breaking the bank

Thanks in advance Fred
OldredbarnOctober 21st, 2011, 3:22 pm
Novi, MI

http://oldtimeangler.tripod.com/index/hardyclassicpalakona.htm

Does your friend, by chance wrap his own rods? He may have purchased the blanks and put this rod together for you. Usually a guy would have added length/weight etc and any other info near the butt end of the rod blank down near its grip...A friend of mine added my name to a rod he built for me, but to see it you need to hold it in the right light...He said he did it so I'd never sell the rod...:)

How does that Ross look attached to this rod? If you have a reel that matches the rod already you can save yourself a few bucks right there...I know that's a crazy remark considering, "Who doesn't want new reels/toys?

The Hardy Lightweight series of reels are classics and look nice with the look of cane...They have the Flyweight- Featherweight- and LRH along with the Princess...For this rod maybe the LRH would be nice at around $250 from Dan Bailey's not too, too far from you...$69 gets you an extra spool. This is probably the gray reel you mentioned above.

Once you tie in to a nice fish the reel makes a wonderful sound, but hasn't a drag to speak of...

Tightlines!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GutcutterOctober 21st, 2011, 8:53 pm
Pennsylvania

The "new" pfleuger medalists (made in asia) are still a nice reel and compliment a cane rod nicely. You could find a vintage medalist on the auction sites but there are many medalist "junkies" out there...
Good luck
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
WbranchOctober 22nd, 2011, 10:19 pm
York & Starlight PA

In my opinion the only reels that belongs on a classic cane rod are either a Hardy Featherweight, a LRH, or a Princess depending on the length and line weight of the rod. Preferably reels made prior to where the line guard went from two screws and German silver to one screw and some less than classic metal. I have six older Hardy's four of which have the two screw line guards. When I bought my first LRH around 1965 it cost me $25 new with the red vinyl zipper case and the spool cost me the princely sum of $7.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.