Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Waders

FlytyerinpaApril 7th, 2022, 1:52 pm
Pottsville Pa

I just bought a new pair of waders Frogg Toggs living on SS I cant afford the higher priced waders any more, but any way I'm wondering if any body knows what kind of glue will stick to the boots, the first day I found out they are very slick.
I purchased a pair of felt soled but cant find a glue to stick to the boots, I've tried Barge glue and Gorilla glue but it dont stick to the soles, it appears to be some sort of soft plastic material.
The upper part seems to be nylon at least on the outside.
PartsmanApril 8th, 2022, 3:57 am
bancroft michigan

Flytyerinpa, I could how to glue on felt soles,I found Gearaid website to be the most helpful. They suggest using aqua seal fd glue which make sense to me. You need to clean the boot soles with alcohol, and then clamp in some sort of manner. You could use duck tape wrapped around the boot to hold everything together. Anyway I suggest goggling the website for better directions.
Good luck, Mike.
FlytyerinpaApril 8th, 2022, 6:34 am
Pottsville Pa

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try, last night I put a drop of shoe goo after 24 hours I'll check that but in the mean time I'll start looking for aqua seal
MartinlfApril 8th, 2022, 6:44 am
Palmyra PA

Aqua Seal is better than Shoe Goo, which is not as waterproof. I've used both a lot in the past. I recently tried Flex Glue (not Flex Seal) on some Simms boots that had a sole separation, and it's been holding for a while. I also tried it on some Chota boots where a seam had broken in a plastic/rubber heel cap. It is holding strong there also. I think it may be as good, or better, than Aqua Seal.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FlytyerinpaApril 8th, 2022, 6:52 am
Pottsville Pa

Dont you just hate them plastic boots or what ever they are dont even have a arch support in them.
Last year I lost a felt off one of my boots the so called sole under the felt is so thin I was in agony just walking back to the car
PartsmanApril 8th, 2022, 7:38 am
bancroft michigan

Flytyerinpa, I know where your coming from on a fixed income, I’m there to. I will say stocking foot waders for me are the way to go. I put koldcutter studs in the soles of the boots and I don’t slip and slide. I know waders are expensive, but I have gotten a ton of use out of my orvis silver sonics and I purchased a pair of simms g-3s so I kinda of split use between them now. A pair of orvis light weight wading boots and I’m good to go.
Mike.
MartinlfApril 8th, 2022, 2:10 pm
Palmyra PA

Mike, I'm liking the Orvis waders also. I have a pair of the pro waders, and the lightweight convertibles. I've used the koldcutter studs also.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FlytyerinpaApril 9th, 2022, 10:12 am
Pottsville Pa

I think you have the right idea Mike if I should live so long as to need a new set of waders I'm thinking I'm going with stocking foot waders and find a good pair of sandals.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.