Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > fall colors

Partsman has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorthern lp, Michigan
Time of DayAll day
Fish CaughtBrown, brook trout
Conditions & HatchesCloudy and overcast, cool. Water very low, and clear.

Details and Discussion

PartsmanOctober 1st, 2020, 10:08 am
bancroft michigan

The fall colors were very nice, including the brook trout. I fished streamers all day, and a few brookies and one medium size brown. No real patterns as far as streamers I caught a fish or two on 4 or 5 different patterns. Were getting rain right now so maybe a little more water well help.
Mike.
WbranchOctober 1st, 2020, 11:38 am
York & Starlight PA

Absolutely beautiful male brook trout in what I assume are spawning colors.
i've seen many colored up but this has to be one of the prettiest.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanOctober 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm
bancroft michigan

Yes Matt, it was stunning, I love this time of year in northern Michigan, but its the shortest of the seasons! I blew out the sole of one my orvis boa boots, they have been great no complaints. Im going to try shoe goo and duct tape to get me through till spring! Im looking at new waders and boots, so Im selling a couple of rod that I have just not used.
Mike.
WiflyfisherOctober 1st, 2020, 3:26 pm
Wisconsin

The brookie is absolutely stunning!!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
MartinlfOctober 1st, 2020, 7:45 pm
Palmyra PA

Gorgeous fish! I find Shoe goo doesn't work as well on boots as Aquaseal. Good luck with the boots; I nursed a pair of Simms Riversheds through several seasons with glue. If it's a delaminated/peeling sole Barge cement will hold and stay flexible.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PartsmanOctober 2nd, 2020, 4:07 am
bancroft michigan

Martinlf, thanks for the tips, looks like Barge cement for me.
Mike.
WbranchOctober 2nd, 2020, 11:53 am
York & Starlight PA

Well I guess I'll add my thoughts on the glue issue. I had two pairs of Caddis wading shoes. Both were sent to me at no cost by the maker as I had been very disappointed with the life of the felt soles adhering to the rubber soles. They sent me a low end pair and another higher cost model. The felts came off the lower canvas upper model within four months. The soles on the better model, about $100, lasted over a year of solid fishing but it finally came unglued also.

I decided to give Flex Glue a try and I have been very satisfied with the results. It is entirely waterproof which is important because many other adhesives are only water resistant. I put it on the $100 pair last fall and the felts are still holding securely.

I make sure the felts are entirely removed and I wash them and dry them completely. I also wash the rubber soles of the uppers and make sure they are totally clean and dry. Then I liberally apply the product to the rubber and place the felt soles onto the rubber. Once you put them on the adhesiveness is almost immediate so be sure you line them up correctly.

To assist in the bonding I wrap duct tape all over the soles and heels as tightly as I can and let it dry for 24 hours.

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-glue/?attribute_pa_size=10%20oz&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=paid&utm_term=shopping_glue_10&msclkid=3184f1f2b63212b888ecae85341e3ca5
MartinlfOctober 4th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Palmyra PA

Matt, let us know how the flex glue holds up. I'm always looking for new glues to try. I may give it a try with the Rivershed's. The whole sole has loosened up at the heel again on one pair. I've had those boots at least 7 years, possibly 10. They have been glued many times and twice stitched by a shoe repair shop. I sort of hate to give up on them. They have another season in them for sure. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchOctober 5th, 2020, 7:46 am
York & Starlight PA

Hello Louis,

Matt, let us know how the flex glue holds up

I glued them last fall at the beginning of the steelhead season. They are still holding well. However I also use a pair of Chota felts I bought last fall so I'd say I've only used the Flex cemented felts about 10 trips.

Did you re-book for Montana 2021? I did - June 26 to July 09 Cabin #3.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.