Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need a little help with waders unrelated to fishing

NoQuarterJuly 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1Hi all, I was looking for a friendly forum to ask for a little help and you guys seem perfect. I am a duck hunter by hobby and know neoprene waders fairly well. However, I need to order a pair of flyfishing chest waders for use in a baptismal pool for the pastors at my church. Being from south Georgia on the coast I can't just go to the local shop to look at the waders so I need a little help.
---Our church has 5 different pastors using one pair of waders. Honestly, they are growing rounder all the time and the one pair of waders is not "fit all" anymore.
---I help them prepare for baptisms and they each keep there dress clothes on minus the shoes. They wear a robe or old dress jacket over the waders
---They are always in a hurry because the service is ongoing
---We don't need insulation
---We don't need traction boots
My question's:
Will stockingfoot waders keep them dry as long as they don't top the wader?
Are the stockingfoot waders easy to get on and off? ( I typically fold the wader over the boots (on the boot type wader) so that they can just step in)
Is there a brand that you might suggest? I will probably order them from Cabelas unless you have other suggestions.

Thank you so much. We baptize typically 5-10 people a month and one pastor is really having a tough time squeezing into the waders we have. It's really rather funny to see.

Thanks for your help.
Stephen
RleePJuly 16th, 2019, 9:34 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Given your description of the situation and the varied states of rotundity of your Pastors, you might want to consider something like these from WalMart (you'll probably have to copy/paste the link):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgman-Gamewade-Packable-Chest-Fishing-Wader/43927257

At 15 bucks a pop, they're inexpensive and you might be able to get multiple pairs to fit the size range of the wearers. The other side of it is that they are PVC and not very durable. But unless your candidates for baptism are prone to a lot of thrashing, they ought to suffice, I'd think.

The only other thing I can think of is to suggest you bypass the immersion thing and go to a sprinkle/font arrangement like the Lutherans, etc.

But of course, I don't expect you to consider that...:)

Best of Luck!
IasgairJuly 18th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Colorado

Hi all, I was looking for a friendly forum to ask for a little help and you guys seem perfect. I am a duck hunter by hobby and know neoprene waders fairly well. However, I need to order a pair of flyfishing chest waders for use in a baptismal pool for the pastors at my church. Being from south Georgia on the coast I can't just go to the local shop to look at the waders so I need a little help.
---Our church has 5 different pastors using one pair of waders. Honestly, they are growing rounder all the time and the one pair of waders is not "fit all" anymore.
---I help them prepare for baptisms and they each keep there dress clothes on minus the shoes. They wear a robe or old dress jacket over the waders
---They are always in a hurry because the service is ongoing
---We don't need insulation
---We don't need traction boots
My question's:
Will stockingfoot waders keep them dry as long as they don't top the wader?
Are the stockingfoot waders easy to get on and off? ( I typically fold the wader over the boots (on the boot type wader) so that they can just step in)
Is there a brand that you might suggest? I will probably order them from Cabelas unless you have other suggestions.

Thank you so much. We baptize typically 5-10 people a month and one pastor is really having a tough time squeezing into the waders we have. It's really rather funny to see.

Thanks for your help.
Stephen

This is an awesome question. The only problem I see with Hodgeman is, they will eventually give out sooner than later. And which of your Pastors wants to be the one who it gives out on?

Cabelas would last much longer, years longer for just doing Baptisms, and yes stocking foot waders are pretty much very easy to take off. But, not everyone is the same size.

My advice to you is, get a pair that will fit over everyone, like an XL or XXL. That way everyone can put them on, and with possibly the bigger foot size, they will be easier to take off. I would recommend maybe wearing Crocs or sandles while performing the Baptisms, just so you won't wear out the bottom of the stockings.

I hope you use the waders every week.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.