Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hiking boots for wading - any tips?

BigfootryJanuary 9th, 2023, 12:39 pm
Posts: 4Hey everybody! I posted in these forums a while back about being a newbie and looking for waders for large feet:

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/9951/Moving-to-Utah-general-questions#51290

I'm happy to report that after a couple years I do in fact enjoy fly fishing (a bit obsessed actually) and was finally able to find a custom pair of waders that will work for my shoe size that's not going to make me take out another mortgage. They are stocking foot waders, which brings me to my new issue.

Wading boots simply do not exist in size 18, and as such I plan to use a pair of waterproof hikers. I know this is less than ideal, but it is pretty much where I am at. I was hoping that anybody that has gone this route might be able to throw any tips my way in order to make hikers as close to wading boots as possible. I also have a couple pairs of BOGS, but those definitely fill up with water and can essentially become anchors.

As a newbie who has always had giant freak feet, I have never been able to try waders, so any info is good info! Thanks in advance!
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2023, 12:48 pm
Palmyra PA

I wish I knew more. A properly made hiking boot might, in fact, work well. If I were you, I'd also call some of the companies that produce wading boots, Such Chota, Simms, and Orvis, and see if one of their product developers had any suggestions. They may have run into this issue before. I had a very good exchange with Chota a while back, and found them to be very helpful and responsive. Glad to hear you're enjoying fly fishing, and hope you come up with good solutions.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BigfootryJanuary 11th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I have reached out to Simms and Orvis with no luck - but I will definitely check out Chota as well. I'll be sure to update you if I hear anything back from them. Otherwise this season could be a lot of figuring stuff out.
MikeT1990January 25th, 2023, 4:57 pm
Maybe getting some sort of muck boot would work. A quick search on amazon shows a few different boots in size 18. Here's one that seems to be a good fit and could slip over some stockingfoot waders:

https://amzn.to/3HxyINp

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.