Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Question about sulphurs in PA

LamApril 22nd, 2019, 10:28 am
Lancaster, PA

According to hatch charts online, sulphurs won't be hatching until early May, the consensus is between the 8th and 12th. Having said that, and add to it several days in the 70's and mid to high 60's, is it possible that I am seeing some now? I noticed what I think are sulphurs on a stream that has a very strong and long sulphur hatch. Others are telling me I'm crazy and some others have seen them too. Some people tell me that they could be light hendricksons but they are fairly small, size 16ish and I don't believe this stream has a praticularly strong handrickson hatch.
LamApril 22nd, 2019, 10:28 am
Lancaster, PA

I'm in south central PA.
RleePApril 22nd, 2019, 11:08 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I'm far from the world's most observant hatch follower, but sure, it is possible and even likely you are beginning to see sulfurs about now, especially if the streams you are looking for them on are limestone or thusly influenced. They usually start showing up on Spring Creek in central PA the last 10 days or so of April, maybe a bit earlier in some years. On freestones, especially smaller to medium mountain freestones in the northern half of the state they are usually a coupe weeks behind the limestones and won't start in earnest until sometime in May, usually around the 10th or so.

But even on freestones in southern PA, they may well be kicking in about now or very soon. One of the manifestations, most likely of how the climate is gradually changing making many of the hatches begin earlier.
CrepuscularApril 24th, 2019, 4:43 am
Boiling Springs, PA

According to hatch charts online, sulphurs won't be hatching until early May, the consensus is between the 8th and 12th. Having said that, and add to it several days in the 70's and mid to high 60's, is it possible that I am seeing some now? I noticed what I think are sulphurs on a stream that has a very strong and long sulphur hatch. Others are telling me I'm crazy and some others have seen them too. Some people tell me that they could be light hendricksons but they are fairly small, size 16ish and I don't believe this stream has a praticularly strong handrickson hatch.

I've seen sulphurs on Donegal in April. Also if it is on a limestone system that you are seeing sulphurs, there are some that will have E. invaria emergences throughout the year.
WbranchApril 26th, 2019, 2:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

Lam wrote;

Having said that, and add to it several days in the 70's and mid to high 60's, is it possible that I am seeing some now?

No, it is extremely unlikely you have seen any sulfurs in SE PA. Neither Ep dorothea or Ep invaria (which is larger, about a #14, and earlier than dorothea) Post up a picture and I'm sure some of the sites entomologists will be able to tell you what it is.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchApril 26th, 2019, 3:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

Since Crepuscular is far more knowledgeable about SE PA spring creeks than I am I would defer to his stream knowledge and wisdom well above my lesser knowledge. I fish far more in the western Catskills than the SE PA waters.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfApril 28th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Palmyra PA

there are some that will have E. invaria emergences throughout the year.

i.e. even in the winter! Hard to believe, but true.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.