Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hendrickson Ventral

CrepuscularMarch 21st, 2013, 8:47 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Since there were some questions about what the underside of those Hendrickson nymphs look like here are some more photos (better too) of some other nymphs I collected. I forgot to add pink in the colors mentioned in the previous thread.

EntomanMarch 21st, 2013, 3:40 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yeah. tannish olivish brownish.

Since there were some questions about what the underside of those Hendrickson nymphs...I forgot to add pink in the colors mentioned in the previous thread.

I'm also seeing some cream, amber, yellow, brick red, Dk. chocolate, black, and burnt orange. Jeez, any earth tones (both dark & pastel) missing in these guys? :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMarch 21st, 2013, 4:13 pm
Northern CA & ID

Seems like a dubbing blend of nat, fox squirrel (back & belly) with a pinch of olive for a base would be perfect. For the lighter ones add a little amber/pink/orange blend of rabbit. And for the darker ones add a black, choc. brown/brick red one. Then add a few with a cream band in the middle... Wow, and that's just for one hatch! The good thing about such variability is I don't see how the fish could possibly become selective to color.

We're not so lucky out here. Our major ephemerellid hatches (from Green Drake to PMD) are much more uniform for a given hatch and location, hence a greater propensity for color preference expressed by the fishies. I can pretty much cover them with 4 Hare's Ear type patterns in the following colors: natural, brownish olive, olivaceous black, and cinnamon. When fishing clean granite substrate freestones in the High Sierras, I'll carry a fifth in nat. gray squirrel that has worked very well for me.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 21st, 2013, 5:49 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I like them kinda buggy

LastchanceMarch 21st, 2013, 8:58 pm
Portage, PA

Gees, it's going to be hell trying to mix a dubbing for a Hendrickson nymph. In which phase do the fish see them the longest? How do you mix a dubbing to match all of those nymph phases?
Bruce
Jmd123March 21st, 2013, 9:24 pm
Oscoda, MI

AAAAAH HAAAA, as I suspected, more complicated than simple counter-shading (dark on top, light on bottom, as in most fish species). There's quite a lot of variation there too! Now the important question: which of these colors is it important for the FISH to see to convince them to EAT these things we tie to imitate them? Seems like Crepuscular's nymph illustrated above captures some of those highlights...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMarch 22nd, 2013, 12:25 am
Novi, MI

I forgot to add pink in the colors mentioned in the previous thread.

Anyone have any urine stained fox fur? ;)

Nice fly there Eric!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMarch 22nd, 2013, 6:33 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I do. But it's hard to them to stand still while you do it, especially since it has to be belly fur... Maybe someone was paying attention when they designed the original Catskill pattern.

CrepuscularMarch 22nd, 2013, 8:41 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Gees, it's going to be hell trying to mix a dubbing for a Hendrickson nymph. In which phase do the fish see them the longest? How do you mix a dubbing to match all of those nymph phases?
Bruce

Don't worry about getting too precise Bruce, since there is so much variation, Like Kurt pointed out I doubt that the fish will focus on a single color variation. Tie up some light, medium and dark Hare's Ear nymphs with a lighter section in the abdomen and you'll be good to go. I suspect that most will be pretty dark when they are most available to the fish.
Feathers5March 22nd, 2013, 9:15 am

I do. But it's hard to them to stand still while you do it, especially since it has to be belly fur... Maybe someone was paying attention when they designed the original Catskill pattern.

Will urine stained cotton work?
CrepuscularMarch 22nd, 2013, 2:24 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Will urine stained cotton work?

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.