Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Cant find hip waders that fit my legs.

SumoLumoDecember 31st, 2018, 9:09 pm
Dallastown Pa

Hi. Newbie here. I searched forum and didnt see any posts about this. If there are i am sorry. I have 32" thighs/quads without jeans on and 22" calves. I can NOT find a pair of hip waders to fit. Any suggestions. PLEASE HELP. I have reached out to many sellers online with no success. I plan on hiking thru brush as well. Most streams will not be past knee high. Thanks in advance. I posted this in the gear forum as well
IasgairJanuary 1st, 2019, 7:03 pm
Colorado

Hey Sumo, I'm not as big as you, and I have had trouble finding hip waders. I'm afraid that because of your size, you may be out of luck.

For some reason Dan Baily brand comes to mind. They seem to have more room than many other brands. But they are pricey.

But for wading in most streams that are not past knee high, have you thought of getting a pair of nylon pants and just wet wade? Thats what I basically do on the creeks here in Colorado. Simms has good quick drying pants you may want to give a try.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=Dan+bailey+hip+waders&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=EEC2DA33E16F4EA59D2A3FAA175D395E

I really hope this helps you.
WbranchJanuary 2nd, 2019, 1:03 pm
York & Starlight PA

But for wading in most streams that are not past knee high, have you thought of getting a pair of nylon pants and just wet wade?

That is how New Zealanders wade. Look at any YouTube video of fly fishers in NZ and they never wear waders. Just some kind of legging tights, knee length shorts, wading socks, wading shoes, and gaiters. For the uninformed gaiters are the neoprene gizmos that have Velcro on the edges and you wrap them around your lower calf and the wading shoe so gravel does not get inside the wading shoes.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms-neoprene-gravel-wrap-gaiters-fishing-accessories~p~1153n/?redirectevent=review
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SumoLumoJanuary 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Dallastown Pa

Thank you everyone. I found 2 sites after many nights of searching. I am going to have a pair made by Dan's Hunting gear. The baileys are not an option. Yoder's is another one that can be made to fit. Looks like i am going to be dropping some money no matter where i go. I thought of the wading shoe and nylon pants route but to be honest i get to cold to quick to go that route and i plan on fishing in some cold waters. Thank you everyone
WbranchJanuary 5th, 2019, 4:31 am
York & Starlight PA

Sumolumo,

I thought of the wading shoe and nylon pants route but to be honest i get to cold to quick to go that route and i plan on fishing in some cold waters.

Understood. Possibly the NZ rivers aren't any colder than the low 60's which is tolerable wading wet. But if you are fishing eastern streams and rivers in the spring and winter you can easily have water temperatures in the high 30's to low 40's and then you need warmth to avoid hypothermia issues. Good luck and have fun.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairJanuary 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Colorado

I'm glad you found a way SumoLumo. It's true in some cases that size does matter, and because you are a large man, it's terrible that you have to pay extra just to have your needs met.
I hope the hip waders last you a long time after you get them and serve you well.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.