Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Large calves and thighs. HIP WADERS DONT FIT

SumoLumoDecember 31st, 2018, 8:58 pm
Dallastown Pa

Hi. Newbie here. I searched forum and didnt see any posts about this. If there are i am sorry. I have 32" thighs/quads without jeans on and 22" calves. I can NOT find a pair of hip waders to fit. Any suggestions. PLEASE HELP. I have reached out to many sellers online with no success. I plan on hiking thru brush as well. Most streams will not be past knee high. Thanks in advance.
WbranchJanuary 1st, 2019, 3:21 pm
York & Starlight PA

Cut back on the squats and other free weights for a year or two.

Seriously hip boots are often more restrictive than waist of chest waders. You should consider breathable waist waders. I think the calf area will offer more room for you to feel comfortable. The cost for a decent pair is about $100. But then you also need a pair of wading shoes.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairJanuary 1st, 2019, 7:31 pm
Colorado

Matt is right.

I did see this on the general discussion section and mentioned Dan Baily. I also posted a site with many brands you can look at.

But even with chest waders, you're going to have to find a brand where the calf area has plenty of room. They are not all alike. For instance, Caddis chest waders have a smaller calf area. But they also have hip waders. So if you haven't looked at those, contact them and ask about sizing.

WbranchJanuary 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

One nice thing about the Caddis wading shoes are they are designed to be true to size of your street shoe. So if you wear a size 12 shoe everyday a size 12 Caddis wading shoe will be the correct size for one pair of wading socks. I have three pairs of the Caddis shoes, each one a different model for different applications. For rivers with lots of rubble and big rocks I prefer a wading shoe with strong synthetic uppers that reach up above my ankles a few inches and have padding around the outside edge. In my opinion it is hard to beat the Simms Freestones.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairJanuary 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm
Colorado

One nice thing about the Caddis wading shoes are they are designed to be true to size of your street shoe. So if you wear a size 12 shoe everyday a size 12 Caddis wading shoe will be the correct size for one pair of wading socks. I have three pairs of the Caddis shoes, each one a different model for different applications. For rivers with lots of rubble and big rocks I prefer a wading shoe with strong synthetic uppers that reach up above my ankles a few inches and have padding around the outside edge. In my opinion it is hard to beat the Simms Freestones.

Amen.
SumoLumoJanuary 4th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Dallastown Pa

Caddis reached back out to me and cant fit my calf size. Thank you for the reply.
SumoLumoJanuary 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Dallastown Pa

Cut back on the squats and other free weights for a year or two.

Seriously hip boots are often more restrictive than waist of chest waders. You should consider breathable waist waders. I think the calf area will offer more room for you to feel comfortable. The cost for a decent pair is about $100. But then you also need a pair of wading shoes.

I did quit with the squats. LoL. Chest waders are to long in the inseam to get ones that fit. I am afraid i may be going the custom route. Thank you for the reply
Tln1313January 6th, 2019, 6:47 am
PA

While not inexpensive, Simms and Patagonia both offer their waders in short lengths. I have a short in the Patagonias. They work well for my shortish inseam and large quads and beefy calves.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.