Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hungarian Partridge Skins

JoerobertNovember 1st, 2018, 2:06 pm
Townsend, Tennessee

Our local fly shop told me they are having difficulty getting Hungarian partridge complete skins and that they have not had any come in for the last seven months. I have found a few on line, but they are priced twice as much as what the local fly shop sells them. Is there a shortage of them among fly tying circles? A friend of mine used to say if you're going to play like a man, you've got to pay like a man. I guess I should just go ahead and buy one of the more expensive skins and be done with it. A complete skin will last me a lifetime anyway.
Joe
IasgairNovember 1st, 2018, 4:47 pm
Colorado

Thanks for the info Joe. I've not looked at any Partridge skins lately because I've a full skin already. I think my local shop has one or two on the shelf, and it would be worth knowing if their prices doubled as well. I will also be at Cabela's on Sunday, so I can compare prices.

As for a shortage, I have not heard of any, but I'm usually the last to know anything.
JoerobertNovember 3rd, 2018, 11:09 am
Townsend, Tennessee

Thanks for the info Joe. I've not looked at any Partridge skins lately because I've a full skin already. I think my local shop has one or two on the shelf, and it would be worth knowing if their prices doubled as well. I will also be at Cabela's on Sunday, so I can compare prices.

As for a shortage, I have not heard of any, but I'm usually the last to know anything.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would be interested in knowing if the prices are higher at your local shop and at Cabelas. In the mean time, my local fly shop has packets of hun partridge feathers. The packets contain lots of feathers from different parts of the skin, but as you dig through it, you usually can find what you need for what you are currently tying. The only problem with this is that there are a lot of junk feathers in the packet that are totally unusable. On the up side, these packets only cost a couple of bucks each. But, I would still like to have a complete skin. They just seem to be more organized.
Joe
IasgairNovember 3rd, 2018, 5:36 pm
Colorado

I checked at the local shop, along with Cabelas and many other places online that I use, and everyone is selling them for $39.95. Dettes fly shop is completely sold out of skins and bags of partridge feathers. And since that's the only place I saw that is sold out, I wouldn't get too worried yet.

How much was your local shop selling them for?
Jmd123November 3rd, 2018, 6:16 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hi Joe. Just curious, what patterns are you tying? I've done the simple Partridge & _____ (floss body color of your choice) wets and had luck with those swinging for rainbows. Best body colors are green, yellow, and orange, for me at least. Good luck!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JoerobertNovember 5th, 2018, 11:03 am
Townsend, Tennessee

Iasgair, or local shop was selling them for 29.95. I suspect that when they have them again, the price will have gone up.

Jonathon, I have been tying mostly the soft hackle wet flies that you describe. I also use the part hackle on a local fly called the Clinch Witch, which has a dubbed body of seal fur or any other glossy fur you may want to use.

Thanks for all the other info guys.
Joe
IasgairNovember 6th, 2018, 10:14 am
Colorado

Joe, yep, you're correct on the price hike. The skin I bought awhile back earlier this year was the same as yours, $29.95. Big jump I'd say.

Maybe the farms are just getting low on birds. I don't know, but hopefully if that's the case, we'll just have to wait till they grow up to be harvested. Then maybe the price will drop again.
RleePNovember 7th, 2018, 6:10 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I've used these folks in Moscow, Idaho from time to time if there was something I felt I really needed and couldn't substitute out. They're more fur than feathers, but usually have a reasonable variety of game and domestic bird skins. Currently, they don't have any Hungarian Partridge in inventory, but they have some Ruffed Grouse skins, etc. While they aren't the best place to find bargains (they're pretty high...) they are worth checking from time to time as various needs arise.

https://www.hideandfur.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.