Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Aw Shucks

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Ephemerella invaria

This species, the primary "Sulphur" hatch, stirs many feelings in the angler. There is nostalgia for days when everything clicked and large, selective trout were brought to hand. There is the bewildering memory of towering clouds of spinners which promise great fishing and then vanish back into the aspens as night falls. There is frustration from the maddening selectivity with which trout approach the emerging duns--a vexing challenge that, for some of us, is the source of our excitement when Sulphur time rolls around.

Ephemerella invaria is one of the two species frequently known as Sulphurs (the other is Ephemerella dorothea). There used to be a third, Ephemerella rotunda, but entomologists recently discovered that invaria and rotunda are a single species with an incredible range of individual variation. This variation and the similarity to the also variable dorothea make telling them apart exceptionally tricky.

As the combination of two already prolific species, this has become the most abundant of all mayfly species in Eastern and Midwestern trout streams. Read more...

There are 42 more specimens...

The Discussion

MartinlfMay 19th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, this is going to seem like a major duh experience for some of you, but the other night I found a sulphur spinner on the door of a bathhouse in a campground I was staying at. Looking for other bugs I then saw a pale nymph shuck on the door. I was totally confused. A nymph this far from the stream? Was this some alien bug? Looking closer I noticed that the shape was too slender for a nymph and that the wing pads were more like little protruding pockets--and it hit me. Spinner shuck. I knew that mayflies molted to produce a spinner, but I had thought the shuck would be more insubstantial--something that would be flimsy and lack form. This was so cool, and at the same time I felt so silly for thinking it could somehow have been a nymph shuck. It's the first spinner shuck I've seen, but I assume that I'll start seeing them everywhere now, like a new word you learn. Anybody else have a spinner shuck story?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
KonchuMay 19th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Worked a Caenis hatch in the Dakotas and came away covered in shucks. They were using our shirts to land and molt. It was amazing.
Shawnny3May 20th, 2009, 4:14 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Nice story, Louis. The "duh" moments in my flyfishing experience are too numerous to mention.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
WiflyfisherMay 20th, 2009, 4:34 am
Wisconsin

I think you mean a "dun shuck" when molting into a spinner, not a "spinner shuck"

I see a lot of shucked mayfly dun skins on our screened in porch at the lake. Hex. limbata skins all over the place at times when the hatch is heavy.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
MartinlfMay 20th, 2009, 5:46 am
Palmyra PA

Good point, John. Thanks for the clarification.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3May 20th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

You calling Louis a "dun shuck", John? This forum has an interesting way of getting people riled up.

Regardless of how the term was intended, I think it should become a new fishing expletive. I know I'm going to say it loudly to myself the next time I flip my leader into a tall tree.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutMay 21st, 2009, 1:23 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I can see the hit movie now! A passenger jet flies through a massive Hex hatch, and it's up to Samuel L. Jackson to save the passengers and the engines from millions of mayflies. Near the end of the movie he finally gets really angry and proclaims, I have had it with these dunner-shucking drakes on this dunner-shucking plane!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WiflyfisherMay 21st, 2009, 3:31 am
Wisconsin

Well, I was "dun shucked" when Louis said he saw a "spinner shuck".

Shawn, when I backcast my fly & leader into the tree I have better, more choice words to mumble to myself, but dun shuck might fit the bill too.

Jason, now you can make a new t-shirt or coffee mug over at Cafe Press that says: "I am a dun shuck".
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
GeezerJuly 24th, 2009, 8:48 am
Guelph, Ontario

Okay, the "Drakes on the Plane" reference was pretty 'effin' funny, Troutnut. I actually laughed out loud about it.
EricdJuly 24th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Mpls, MN

Oh boy, that is funny.
I can't wait to add this new expletive to my fishing. My friends already shake their heads at "frelling," "fracking," and "gorram."
MartinlfJuly 24th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Palmyra PA

Now I'm figuring out what those white husks are on the water in the middst of the Trico hatch. I'll be dun shucked again--they're the spinner shucks!

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.