Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > imitation?

The Specimen

Cheumatopsyche (Little Sister Sedges) Caddisfly PupaCheumatopsyche (Little Sister Sedges) Caddisfly Pupa View 10 PicturesThis is the first fully formed caddis pupa (technically, a pharate adult (Pharate adult: Caddisflies are considered to be pupae during their transformation from larva into adult. This transformation is complete before they're ready to emerge. The emerging insect we imitate with the "pupa" patterns we tie is technically called a pharate adult. It is a fully-formed adult caddisfly with one extra layer of exoskeleton surrounding it and restricting its wings.)) that I've collected and photographed alive and healthy. I'll put a video of this specimen online soon, too.
Collected April 14, 2007 from Cayuta Creek in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 22, 2007

The Discussion

Flytyer0423August 14th, 2009, 9:22 pm
germansville PA

what is a good caddis pupa pattern ive been looking for them online and didnt find anything that worked for me

thanks-
natureboy
(vistit my website @) www.natureboyoutdoors.weebly.com
GONZOAugust 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Unless you want or need something more specific, Josh, traditional soft hackles tied in appropriate colors are simple, effective, and versatile flies.

SayfuOctober 5th, 2012, 9:54 am
My approach would be to tie a small soft hackle, metal bead headed, the abdomen ribbed with small copper wire over a pale green acrylic yarn I use. The rest of the yarn strand gets combed out, and laid back over the body. Then a peacock herl thorax, and a soft hackle "APPLIED" on a #16 caddis/pupa hook that is short shank, and a wider gape for better hooking/holding. I want my hackle to extend back beyond the hook bend. I use all kinds of soft hackle game bird feathers for hackle...Sage Grouse, and Sharptail Grouse lately, but Ruff Grouse lately as well, Hungarian Partridge of course, and duck feathers. There are some great soft hackle feathers that come off ducks.That yarn I get in the craft shop, and it is J. & P. Coats yarn, 4 strand small that you can separate, and use as many strands as needed. I have it in a honey gold, green, and yellow. Great stuff, makes tying easy. I either go for some shine with a copper metal bead, or go black. I watched Lawson tie a similar fly for a caddis emerger this Spring, and he prefers a black bead, but he fishes Spring Creek waters while I am a tailwater guy for the most part.
GldstrmSamOctober 5th, 2012, 3:05 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Hi Sayfu,

I was wondering if you use wool or polyester yarn.

Thanks

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
SayfuOctober 5th, 2012, 4:01 pm
I see the yarn I use I identified is a synthetic. It has fuzzies coming off it as well. The green, and yellow are pastel colors that I like, and the golden yellow has an amber hue to it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.