Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Tying Vise

William99August 1st, 2018, 11:05 pm
Arizona

Hey guys can you suggest me which one is the best fly tying vise? I've been searching on internet for the most durable fly tying vise.

I've got a blog that lists some of the best fly tying vise.

here is the blog url: Fishingfinderpro's blog

Please suggest me which one is the best.
Flyguide1August 2nd, 2018, 5:55 am
East Tn

HMH spartan
Jmd123August 2nd, 2018, 8:46 am
Oscoda, MI

I'm still using my old Renzetti that my ex-wife gave me back in the early '90s. So, considering it's still working just fine, and it has had >10,000 flies tied on it, there's some durability for ya!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flyguide1August 2nd, 2018, 10:50 am
East Tn

Regal medallion vise isn't bad either. I guess it depends on the level of tying you are at. I also have a Renzetti. Thousands of flies on each.
RogueratAugust 2nd, 2018, 11:23 am
Ditto on the Renzetti, I've got the basic Traveler model and its the proverbial cat's cojones.

That and my original vise that's served well for the last 25-plus years, a Thompson Model A which is stone-simple and a classic.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
WbranchAugust 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

I use two vises. A standard, basic Regal pedestal vise. I have had it for at least 25 years. As far as clamping power strength I just don't believe their is a stronger and more fool proof system on the market. You will bend a 3/0 salt water hook before it slips in the vise jaws. I use the Regal for all my streamer, steelhead, and bigger nymph work, bigger meaning #6 - #12.

The other Vise is a HMH rotary with two sets of jaws, the standard and the midge jaws. I rarely use the rotary feature because I'm not in a hurry to tie. I thoroughly enjoy tying but do use the rotational feature to aid when tying on nymph legs on the side of the hook opposite me. Also to add beards on the bottom of the fly and to just generally inspect the fly during the build and when I am done.

It is a good vise but takes some patience to find the exact setting to set the threaded collar at the back side of the vise shaft so the jaws close tightly and you fully engage the cam. But not so tightly that you can't close the jaws. I use the HMH for all dry fly and nymph work #14 - #24.

After saying all of that I know their are less expensive knock-offs of Regal and probably some of the other high end vises. You want the heat treatment of the jaws to be perfect, not brittle so they might chip and not soft so they wear out.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123August 2nd, 2018, 2:32 pm
Oscoda, MI

"...its the proverbial cat's cojones"

Like your phrasing on that one Rogue! I have a (large, thickly furred, very friendly, green-eyed) Russian Blue that weighs 17 pounds. But, he is missing his cojones...probably a good thing!

I should add that, in light of Matt's mention above, I never really used the rotary feature on my Renzetti. This pissed off my ex-wife because she spent extra $$$ on it after being sold on the ROTARY FEATURE by the shop owner...oh well, it still works just fine!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flyguide1August 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
East Tn

Like the others said the jaw change out is an important factor in the vice. HMH jaws are like 43 bucks and super easy to change out.They have great customer service as well. I do use the rotary function on mine but i tie a lot of articulated streamers. The design of the hmh is a little more simple as well. But as you can see in my profile picture i do also use the renzetti. But i prefer my hmh in my opinion.
Flyguide1August 4th, 2018, 9:29 am
East Tn

FYI i had a friend have a jaw failure on a renzetti. The customer service was not as expected!
IasgairAugust 6th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Colorado

There are so many great vises out there you really can't go wrong. But they all have their pro's and con's, but they are minor.

My advice is go to as many fly shops as you can and ask the person if you can try a few by placing in hooks, resting your hand on top to see if it's comfortable, seeing how much clearance there is with a bobbin and such.

Kelly Galloup has a few videos on this subject that you may want to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4-ogE-5GZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1Er1IjvjA

I have a Peak, and have had it for years and have no complaints. Regal has a very strong following with good reason. Regal is probably the best selling vise out there. But if you have arthritis, squeezing the lever to open the jaws may be painful.

Like I said, many great vises to choose from. You just need to find the one that fits you personally the best for what you need it to do.

Rotary vises are nice to have if you use the rotary feature, but do you really need it? It's up to you. It's like air conditioning in your car. You don't always need it, but it's nice when you do. I find using the rotary feature when winding hackle helps me, but that's just me.

Take your time, choose wisely. And you don't need the most expensive vise out there, unless you just want the most expensive, but not needed because they are all pretty much the same with different quirks.
RleePAugust 13th, 2018, 12:47 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

All the advice has been good, IMO. If you want a good, durable vise and frills don't matter that much to you, I'd look at Griffin's line of vises. You can get a really good vise with a lot of range for under $100. US made as well...

I've been tying on a Griffin for the last 15 years or so and am perfectly content. I keep an old Regal knock-off (Crown) around for my big Pike flies that sometimes run as large as 5/0, but everything else is tied on my Griffin.
TNEALAugust 16th, 2018, 12:39 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

2 Regals;300,000 flies; (sold one; still using the other) #26-#2 all with no problems....
WbranchAugust 16th, 2018, 1:16 pm
York & Starlight PA

300,000 flies

So when are you going to get serious about tying flies?
TNEALAugust 18th, 2018, 3:53 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I'm actually at more like 325,000 after this season...
WbranchAugust 18th, 2018, 8:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

I'm actually at more like 325,000 after this season...

I think we all are quite impressed!
DocWetAugust 19th, 2018, 5:03 am
Erie, PA

Built this vise out of 1/4" SS keystock in 1976 and am still using it today.
No special tools required, just drill press, hacksaw, ball-pein hammer & file.
My favorite trout stream picture; below, shows what a first class trout river looks like. The lack of stream gradient means that this river is not subject to the roaring scouring floods so common here in PA. that wipe out everything in the river.
StrmanglrAugust 27th, 2018, 2:17 pm
At the risk of being flamed or respect lost, I'll post basically what I got. Don't know if it's the same brand but mine cost about the same.

Been using it for about ten years w zero problems. Ties big to small flies. I like the spring jaws.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Terra-Rotating-Spring-Action-Vise?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYXGiaCO3QIVi_5kCh3mgQesEAQYESABEgLp6PD_BwE
DocWetAugust 28th, 2018, 10:39 am
Erie, PA

I built this vise 42 years ago from SS barstock and a heavy plate using hacksaw, drillpress, ball-pein hammer and files and am still using it today.

How the hell do you add pix?
My favorite trout stream picture; below, shows what a first class trout river looks like. The lack of stream gradient means that this river is not subject to the roaring scouring floods so common here in PA. that wipe out everything in the river.
IasgairSeptember 10th, 2018, 10:14 am
Colorado

I have to admit, I have a Peak vise. I love the darn thing and have been tying on it for 8 years now. It's my first somewhat expensive vise. But the best part is, is that the Peak Company is right up the road in the next town from me.

So, I have to say, because I have used it, the customer service is outstanding, and I like keeping people in my home state working so they can support themselves/family too.

I can get parts for Peak at any Cabela's, but since Peak is basically next door just a few miles away, I can get extra stuff like different jaws from them.

They are a really nice company.
MartinlfSeptember 10th, 2018, 4:47 pm
Palmyra PA

its the proverbial cat's cojones

My British friend says the proper expression would be "it's the dog's bollocks."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.