Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Tying Vise with Cam

Outdoors198September 30th, 2015, 10:03 pm
Posts: 27What is the difference between a regular vise and one with can lock jaws? I.e...griffin odyssey spider vs the griffin odyssey spider cam. Thanks!
WbranchSeptember 30th, 2015, 11:26 pm
York & Starlight PA

If I'm not mistaken most mid to upper price range fly tying vises tighten the hooks in the jaws with a cam on the rear locking lever. Oops, I just thought of my Regal vise and that is not cam tightening.

I have no knowledge of the vises you are referring to but looked them up and the advantage of the cam spider is that it has a cam operated jaw mechanism and it will accommodate all sizes of hooks. The biggest difference between my Regal and my HMH is that the Regal will securely tighten any hook size from a #20 to a #1. There is a groove ground into the back jaw with a radius and it helps to secure larger hooks. The HMH is very nice vise but I have to adjust the cam position whenever I go more than one hook size larger, or smaller.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
DzumwaltMay 25th, 2016, 10:35 am
Missouri

If you are going for a rotary vise and going to spend the money then you may want to look at the Renzetti Traveler. Her is a link with descriptions and ratings. http://amzn.to/1sPOytY

I have had this quality vise for years and have never had any issues, plus it has a lifetime warranty. I bought it in a fly shop and the owner told me that it would be with me for a lifetime. I truly believe that now that I have used it for so long. Also, I didn't think the pedestal would be sufficient because I used the clamp type for 12 years. I will no longer go back since I have this one. I could set it on my lap and tie if I want. Take a look at it and consider it, it is a great vise but it is an investment that you would not regret.

Thanks,
Dirk

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.