Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Regal Vises

CharlieSawdFebruary 26th, 2009, 1:21 pm
St. Michael, Minnesota

Hey guys,
Does anyone use the Regal Medallion series vise?
I am looking into purchasing one and any input would be
fantastic!
Thanks,
-Charlie
Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com
TrtklrFebruary 26th, 2009, 2:20 pm
Banned
Michigan

i have a regal type vise. i don't know who the brand maker is or if its patented or what, but i love it! i can go from a #2 hook to an 18 with no adjustments to make, open the jaws, place hook, and release. i have yet to have a hook move in it.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
JADFebruary 26th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Alexandria Pa

Ive heard a lot of my internet friends rave about theirs.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
LittleJFebruary 26th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

great vise you can't go wrong. I've got prob. 1000 flies tied on mine w/o a hitch.
jeff
WbranchFebruary 26th, 2009, 9:21 pm
York & Starlight PA

I have a Regal and an HMH and while I prefer the HMH for smaller flies and being able to swivel the jaws left or right to view the sides of the fly you can't beat the Regal for sheer hook holding power and I love it for the dozens of #6 - #3/0 Clousers I tie every season.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RedbandFebruary 27th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Central Oregon

I love my Regal vise I purchased mine in the early 1990's and if you want to tie small flies get the midge head it's for small flies #16-#26 and has a different head and jaw design. I have tied on many different vises and really prefer all three of my Regal vises.
Every Day of work is one day closer to retirement.
Shawnny3February 28th, 2009, 9:21 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I personally have never tied on a Regal, but I have never heard a bad word about them. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

I use an HMH, and it has always been good for me, but then I'm not really picky about the vise I use - I'm certainly not about to drop $500 on something that holds a hook. The HMH ran me about $150 and serves its purpose.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
PatcrisciFebruary 28th, 2009, 10:34 am
Lagrangeville, NY

My Thompson A vise has done the job for me for 25 years without a complaint. I don't tie commercially, nor do I tie a lot of size 22 or smaller flies, the bottom line is this: IT HOLDS THE HOOK.
Pat Crisci
WbranchFebruary 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm
York & Starlight PA

There are many high end vises - $275 - $500 that may be very pretty with chrome and brass components but they won't necessarily hold hooks better than some of those more modestly prices Griffin vises.
WbranchFebruary 28th, 2009, 2:52 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hey Pat,

Is the Thompson A vise the one that is black cast iron with a big red cast iron wheel you turn to tigthen the hook into the vise?? If it is now that is an older vise! I had one of those from the time I was 13 years old until I was 47 and tied thousands of flies with it. Then I bought my clamp-on Regal. A few years later I was fortunate enough to get a clamp-on HMH for free.
TrtklrFebruary 28th, 2009, 3:39 pm
Banned
Michigan

i paid 30 dollars for mine. like i said works great.
TrtklrFebruary 28th, 2009, 3:40 pm
Banned
Michigan

i paid 30 dollars for mine. like i said works great.
TrtklrFebruary 28th, 2009, 3:41 pm
Banned
Michigan

i paid 30 dollars for mine. like i said works great. and i can spin mine like a rotary to see the sides of the fly.
WbranchMarch 1st, 2009, 2:35 am
York & Starlight PA

I bought my Regal before the company brought out the swivel head model.
Two vises is enough enven though I'd like the swivel head on the Regal for tying streamers. Maybe when the economy improves and I have some extra money again.
PatcrisciMarch 1st, 2009, 8:54 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Wbranch, my Thompson A is stainless steel/chrome construction with a cam action lever that grasps the hook in its jaws. The vise as is meant to be used by clamping it to a desk or table with a C-clamp, but I use a pedestal base that holds the stem of the vise. This makes it really easy to set up and take down or move from room to room when I want to. I think I paid $25 for it.
Pat Crisci
TaxonMarch 1st, 2009, 11:07 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Wbranch-

Is the Thompson A vise the one that is black cast iron with a big red cast iron wheel you turn to tigthen the hook into the vise??

I see Pat didn't answer your question, so I will. I believe the Thompson vices with a wheel (or large knob) were called the "B" style.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
WbranchMarch 1st, 2009, 11:32 am
York & Starlight PA

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your response! I'd forgotten the model of that old vise. I think I gave it away to some young aspiring fly tier. Actually my very first vise came in a little fly tying kit my parents bought for me when I was just 12 years old. If my memory is correct it was made of cadium plated steel stampings. It was very simplistic and clamped onto my desk and I think the jaws closed via an arm that actuated a cam type affair that squeezed the jaws shut when I would lift and pull the metal arm to the rear of the vise. I bet if I looked hard enough on the Internet I could locate a picture of one. I still have a few of my very first flies I ever tied fifty four years ago! I wish I could have another fifty four years of this wonderful love of fly tying and trout fishing we all share.
PatcrisciMarch 1st, 2009, 1:16 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

Thanks Roger, for taking that one. I'm not familiar with the Thompson B
vise although I have seen photos of it as described.
Pat Crisci
WbranchMarch 1st, 2009, 6:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

I was looking for a picture of the Thompson Model B vise and came across this link for a Vise comparison shoot-out with prices points from $50 to $150. The article is well written and three tiers give there opinions on a ton of vises. Neat article and after reading the vise article click on the "Home" and check out the tremendous amount of info on all things fly fishing.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm
OMGMarch 2nd, 2009, 4:45 pm
I found a site advertizing a regal spinoff at $45.,??? who's to say, might be right ,India,China? We're talking A-Z quality here,they did offer 100% back if disatisfied. You have searh for it tho. I'll do some backsearchin,see if I can follow thru. I have not been able to upgrade to rotary ,forsaking instead for the more necessary equipment.I've been using a T-A for 50 yrs. Mine will hold the smallest dry fly hook I use, Mustad 94842[#28 t.up tap. eye. and if your' wondering why 28's,it's because i got the minutae bug again, after 25 yrs. i'm searching for a good "1" wt. rod blank,,could be glass or graphite or composite..any education on this from you guys?thank again, omg.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.