Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Great streamer action

Wbranch has attached these 4 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (6.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (6.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionLower West Branch of the Delaware River
Specific LocationYou know I can't devulge exactly where I fish
Time of Day6:00 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
Fish CaughtWild rainbow and wild browns
Conditions & HatchesNo bugs but a very good streamer bite due to the high and turbid water conditions.

Details and Discussion

WbranchOctober 1st, 2017, 8:43 am
York & Starlight PA

Fished only Saturday from 6:00 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. The river was quite turbid with only about 8" of clarity. The flow was right around 1000 cfs. I fished a stretch about 75 yards long and turned eight fish and landed six. One 16" rainbow and five browns from 13" to 17". Beautiful day on the river. Saw a couple adult bald eagles and an immature eagle.

I didn't land any big fish but I did hook a bruiser and had him on few minutes before it jumped and threw the barbless hook.

I only fished a few hours because on Friday I was on the Susky with the bass boat and totally blew my back out trying to lift the motor while standing on the transom so I could clear some grass out of the intake on the jet. The pain was so severe by Monday that my wife and I left at 10:00 a.m. and while driving made an appointment to go to an orthopedic hospital in York.

It looks like my fishing might be done for 2017. I was diagnosed, after an X-ray and a MRI, with degenerative spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis. At 74 years old I have to really think it through if I want to undergo major surgery that has a recovery period to pre operation mobility of 8 - 12 months. My condition entails too many vertebrae to have the operation with only a one inch incision and a 1 - 2 month recovery period
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutOctober 1st, 2017, 10:56 pm
Administrator
Fairbanks, AK

It looks like my fishing might be done for 2017. I was diagnosed, after an X-ray and a MRI, with degenerative spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis. At 74 years old I have to really think it through if I want to undergo major surgery that has a recovery period to pre operation mobility of 8 - 12 months.

I'm sorry to hear about that! Tough decision.

I'm glad you got to tangle with a bunch of decent fish... hopefully they'll hold you over for a while til you can get back on the water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RogueratOctober 2nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Matt,

Sorry to hear about your health issues, and hope you get back on the water when the Doc's clear you for it...nowhere near your level of stuff but I lost the most of 2007 when I broke both ankles and heels and was laid up for a while, but I took their advice and instructions to heart and would encourage you to listen to your Doc's as well.

My nail-knots are getting a lot better thanks to your admonishment and encouragement; arm-chair knots look a lot better than onstream but both are workable and don't slip. THANKS! for your wisdom here, as well as in a lot of other fly-fishing things.

Best wishes and a better season to come,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
PartsmanOctober 2nd, 2017, 6:20 pm
bancroft michigan

Good luck Matt, as someone who has suffered with severe back pain since my early 20,s I know the extreme pain you are going through. I hope your doctors are able to help you make the right decision for you. I'm knocking on wood right now because its been a couple of years since I have really had the spasms.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Mike.
PaulRobertsOctober 23rd, 2017, 6:24 am
Colorado

Sorry to hear, Matt. Yes, that's a tough decision. Selfishly, I'm hoping you'll be back fishing next season. In the mean-time, your posts are extremely valuable and I hope you keep at it while you recoup.

Hey, nice bit of fishing there. Always loved that streamer fishing... Wop! Wop! Wop! :)
MartinlfOctober 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm
Palmyra PA

Matt, hope you're feeling better.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchNovember 1st, 2017, 1:51 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello everyone,

I have made much improvement in having less pain. I stopped taking the Gabepentin entirely about two weeks ago and have reduced the stronger pan pill from 300 mg a day to just 100 mg. I still have some minor leg pain but since the pain has diminished so much that I'm not sure if getting an epidural pain block injection is really needed any more. I need to discuss this with the neurosurgeon I have been seeing.

I can't get the epidural while there is a chance the small blood clot in my right leg is still present. My PCP told me if I continue to take the Eliquis for two months there is a very good likelihood that the clot will have dissolved.

I was able to walk today for the first time without my walker. I had to use two canes and it wasn't pretty and I only walked about 20 feet but it was progress. I'm exercising to rebuild the musculature I lost from sitting still for almost six weeks in my leather swivel chair.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RogueratNovember 1st, 2017, 2:06 pm
Matt-

Great news, and good to hear from you!

Do what the doc's say, keep working at it and this may sound cliche' but 'one step at a time' really applies.

best wishes,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.