Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > West Yellowstone Area in August

OldredbarnOctober 9th, 2012, 2:12 pm
Novi, MI

We are just about to head in to the cooler, fly tying months, and I will have a busier than normal time of it since I'm heading toward West Yellowstone next August. I am sending a "shout out" to those of you that have spent some time out that way and may have some suggestions concerning what bugs may be about and what patterns you like to use there...

I know that the waters there are varied and that flies that you need to float on the Madison river may not be needed on some of the calmer rivers. As some of you know, I lean pretty heavily toward dries, but when the fish don't feed, I don't head home :), and have been known to fish nymphs and tap them on the nose with Michigan Big Uglies...:) Only to get their attention of course. :)

Also, I have fished out that way before and have a pretty good idea of what has worked for me in the past, but I'm curious as to what you all may think. This will be my first trip back since 2004 when I fished Nelson's, took a horse trip up to the Third Meadow of Slough Creek, and finished up that stay for a couple days at the Harriman Ranch area.

If you want to share any thing you consider "private" just PM me and it will remain so. Promise!

I'm looking forward to your ideas and hope to hear from Tony and Matt since they were in Montana this past year. Matt has visited the place for quite sometime, but I don't want to date him. :) There used to be a Dylan tune, "I forgot more than you'll ever know about her." which might apply to the info floating aound in Matt's brain about "out west" compared to us that only get to go once in a while.

"The last best place" as they used to say. :) I'm geeked!

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.