Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Montana: The Yellowstone River

Martinlf has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Yellowstone Brown
Yellowstone Brown
Yellowstone Cutthroat.
Yellowstone Cutthroat.
Yellowstone Rainbow
Yellowstone Rainbow
MartinlfJuly 30th, 2021, 7:23 am
Palmyra PA

I floated the Yellowstone River with Yellowstone Angler guide Ashby Bell. A former Pennsylvania native, Ashby is known for finding big fish in the Yellowstone. He certainly lived up to his reputation. We fished below Livingston, and the river was huge and at times, brawling, with big fast rapids. And it was low for this time of year! However, Ashby seemed to know the water intimately, moving us from bank to bank to find the best structure, or pointing out soft water in the middle of a rapid. Like other favorite guides I’ve fished with, he soon seemed more of a generous fishing buddy intent on making my day the best possible than someone I’d hired just to do a job. We talked about everything that day. But he could not have been more professional or talented. We started with a 19” brown that took a Chubby Chernobyl right across from the put in. He joked that catching a good fish that soon could be a bad sign. We’ve all had it happen; you think the day will go well and you don’t see another fish. But I’m pretty sure he knew it wouldn’t happen to us. All day there were sizeable browns, cutthroat, and rainbows in the net, either on the Chubby or one of the droppers suspended below it. And a huge brown that I finally got to the surface came unbuttoned as we dropped into a rapid. It would have been great to get it in the net, but I was thrilled to have hooked and fought it. Ashby took the attached photos and sent them to me promptly, without a reminder. I wish all my Montana guides had done that. I’ve been in touch with him about fishing with me in Pennsylvania. Next time I’m in Montana, I’ll float with him again, and I’ve learned that he fishes many rivers in the state. I recommend George Anderson’s Yellowstone Angler in Livingston and Ashby Bell very highly to anyone planning a trip to Montana.

More Montana fishing reports above and below; scroll up or down. Many waters in Montana are now shut down or on “hoot owl” restrictions due to drought and heat. Fires and smoke are often up the road. Climate change is affecting the West, and if we don’t get it under control great trout fishing there may become a thing of the past.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.